Pinky Pinky Problem

Dear Parents,

I am facing this issue since last 2-3 months.
One of my daughter ( 28 months old) asks for everything in pink color.

When it was for dresses, shoes, water bottle it was fine for me.
I was feeling very proud she can recognize colors ( She can recognize 7-8 colors
whereas other recognize just 2 colors : pink & yellow).

But now a days she asks for everything in pink color. She want pink bed, pink scooter, pink doggy, pink biscuits, pink kite …
She is wearing pink dresses only and some times says no for bath as she has to remove her pink dress.
We have a red car and now she is not ready to sit in that car.

3 days back she had a high fever. I said lets go to Doctor. She said “Let go to pink pink doctor”
She is having medicines which is pink color but crying for others. In sleep also she is crying “I want pink something

Sometimes she listen to me but for other family members its becoming very difficult to handle her.

She is very sensitive girl so we cannot force her for anything.
If she gets hurt then she get fever (Pink Fever of 102 o F ).

Can anyone please suggest how can I handle this.

Thanks in advance.

– Kreena

Sounds like a phase to me. I would continue to offer other colored things and not giving in too much when it comes to her request. She’ll learn to live with it, and maybe introduce some special new toys in other colors and if she doesn’t want to play with them, it’s her decision. Eventually she’ll come around. Or introduce some “color of the week” activities and games.

And out of curiosity, was there a specific person (friend) or cartoon character that she knows of that only adores the color pink? Maybe there is an outside influence here, I was wondering how it began.

Good luck! Parenting can be really tricky, hang in there!

TeachingMyToddlers,

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

I was wondering how it began.

3 months back, My daughters were at my mother’s place for 2-3 months.

Where my sister used to tell her about Pink-Pink dresses and playing with pink Dall.
But my sister was saying this for other colors too. I don’t why she chooses pink only.

Now a days I am playing a song of a Fairy who is waring a Blue Dress. So some times
she likes blue dress. But I am worried if Her Pink Fever will be changed to Blue Fever.

The Idea if Color of the Week is fantastic. I’ll try this.

I hope, My daughter and I will be able to come out of this phase.

– Kreena

I agree quite a bit with Teaching my Toddlers.
Its a stage and not something you can do much about. Being a mother to four girls each of my girls have gone through this stage many times. They just begin to prefer a certain color and there isn’t any talking them out of it until they decided on their next favorite color.

My girls have all started out liking pink and/or purple. Just because they did. Girls are girls and boys are boys no matter how much we try to neutralize them. You just can’t. Its been scientificially proven that girls have different brains than boys.

Its a tough stage, not one of the really tougher stages you’ll go through but its a stage. If she likes pink then let her like it because before you know it she’ll tell you she doesn’t like pink anymore and her favorite color is green. LOL I will guarentee they will at least switch their favorite color at least twice in their life if not more. I remember growing up that I liked the color purple, then in high school it was black, now as an adult I like green. Little kids obsess over things because its the one thing they have control over. This will pass.

With the medicine though you can hide the color. I use syringes for the medications my youngest doesn’t care much for. You can take some pink tissue paper or construction paper and tape it around a syringe and pull any medications she may need through that. She’ll begin to think all medicines are pink. LOL

Hi TracyR4,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I was bit worried about her high fever due to this pink
obsession (may not be the only reason though).

The medication idea really rocks, will surely try
this (her 2 days dose is still there)!

– Kreena