Piano instrument selection

Hi everyone

I don’t know anything about musical instrument. I’m looking at buying a piano but it’s very expensive. I remember someone in the forum mentioned about digital piano, price range is still much higher than a keyboard.

Could someone please enlighten me the pros and cons of various types of pianos? A keyboard will do or it needs to be at least digital piano? And what brand I should not look at. Does it matter how old the instrument is or not? and any other questions that I do not know to ask which can have an impact on my baby’s learning of music and piano. Many thanks.

It’s ok to buy a digital piano for lower grade. The cons of digital piano is that the dynamics are not controllable, and it affects the learner’s expression. Moreover, as the pieces becomes more difficult and the musical notes have to be played faster, I found digital piano produce good enough sound.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

by ‘dynamics’ you are referring to the weight of the keys right, that when the player press on the key with different levels of weight, the sound produced changed?

I wish that I could be of more help in this particular topic. I have a lot of questions myself. I have recently purchased a digital piano but will receive it on Monday according to what shipping says. This is the piano that I bought, and it has weighted keys:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX800-Privia-Digital-Weighted/dp/B000ODUFZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1240065982&sr=8-2

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/ep11904/piano.jpg

I would think a digital piano with weighted keys is fine for a beginner, but it shouldn’t be the primary instrument for someone who plans to be a serious pianist. It’s hard to explain to someone who doesn’t play, but the way a piano sounds is different not just by the force one uses to control volume, but also one’s touch to control tone. Having said that, digital pianos have come a really long way since I was a student, and even my piano teacher bought one to have for two piano duets. And the fact that they don’t go slowly out of tune is a plus.

I think you might get one and if one became very serious or showed talent/aptitude, make the bigger investment in a real piano later. I have two pianos in my living room which both belonged to my family when I was young. It comes in handy for duets, but also for demonstration, and also so my little one can bang away at the same time I do without competing.

That’s so cool -two pianos!

I’ve received my piano, and I really like it so far. I’m not an expert on pianos, but the sound is good and the keys feel like they do with a real piano. One day when we have a nicer and bigger house, I would like the real deal. :slight_smile:

Thanks all for helping. Looked like you all invested in the medium price range for digital piano. I have put my budget lower but now I may have to reconsider.

thanks again.

Another advantage to buying a digital piano if you are not yet in a home that you think you will stay for years–it is very costly and cumbersome to move a real piano, especially a grand. Then you have to pay to tune it after the move, because it shifts out of pitch when it is moved, sometimes so badly that you have to tune it a few months later (not the tuner’s fault–it just happens). You can easily spend as much as you would on a digital piano on the cost to move and retune a real piano.

Not that I would give up my real pianos for that reason, but it is a reason to wait if you’re not yet in the home you think you’ll have for a long time.

OK can someone please enlighten me on the difference between a digital piano and a keyboard? I have never even heard of a digital piano.

Purple fungi posted a picture above of the digital piano she ordered. A digital piano attempts to mimic a piano in the action of the keyboard. The keys are usually weighted so that striking them with greater force will lead to louder tones. They are usually not sensitive enough to sound differently when the touch is different–hard to explain if you don’t play. They have pedals to try to mimic the real pedals.

Keyboards have a completely different feel. Each note associated with each key plays the same no matter how you touch it. And they don’t feel like pianos in the least. They play more like an electric organ. You have to hold the key down to sustain the note, and it changes the way you finger if you are trying to make the melody flow without disturbing little gaps.

Keyboards have the advantage of being portable, though, so you can take it to someone’s house if you need an instrument so people can sing.

I definitely hope that we will not be in the same home for more than five years. I’m pretty happy so far with my purchase, and I think that it was the best solution for our size of house and for our wallets. :slight_smile:

Here is the picture of the digital piano. I have since moved it to a different location in our house, though.

http://thedoubleds.typepad.com/the_double_ds/2009/04/das-klavier.html

Elizabeth–good for you, getting started right away with your learning program!

You know what really bugs me? Seeing a really fine piano in a house where no one plays. My piano professor was asked by the founder of my med school to help him pick a Steinway for his house, and he selected a really wonderful instrument for him, but the new owner didn’t even play. The piano would get used at fancy parties if they hired someone to play, but it didn’t get used regularly, and pianos need to be played regularly in addition to regular tunings. (Not that I have my piano tuned on time, either, but at least it gets played.)

The person who owned my house before me had a beautiful grand piano in her living room, but she didn’t play either.

You bought your instrument for the right purpose–with the intent of learning and using it. Good for you!

Thanks! I’m pretty excited about it. I’m not the best piano player, but that’s okay. It’s more for fun than anything. We’re just poor folk here. One day we’ll make more money, but not at least for another three or so years. :wink:

It would be a shame to have just a “show” piano, although I’m sure it is a pretty site to see. I’m sure the doctors who I work with have beautiful pianos, but they probably don’t have anytime to do anything with them.

I’m sure my piano is going to get beat on pretty good by two little boys. It will be a miracle if it survives the next ten or so years! :slight_smile:

Your casio digital piano looks very nice. where is the pedal though? do we need one?

I check up your piano model in NZ, it is about 2 and 1/2 grand. I will have to say for that big a purchase.

Is there any other brand name good to consider in similar budget please? and is it ok to buy a 2nd hand digital piano? anything to watch out for? how old is still ok to buy for a digital piano?

thanks.