Photographic Memory Printables

I want to start introducing photographic memory games for my son. Babylicious has some printables here http://figur8.net/baby/2010/08/08/right-brain-activities-for-home-practice-part-6-memory-grid/ and I made some similar grids with Super Why characters because I thought those might be more engaging for him (I will share on my blog within a week or two). I also like the idea of eventually creating complex scenes rather than just backgrounds. Does anyone know of places to get more free resources for photographic memory development? What kinds of games do you play with your little ones?

When you get to the complex scene ability you can just use high quality photographs. They need to be clear and with obvious collours for practice.
We spent some time using computing in apps. I took a screen shot of it before it was colored and then colored it with a complete fill colour option. Once done I took a screen shot of it then printed both out. We used the coloured one as a memory " what colour is the…?" and the uncoloured one as a mandala excersise. I showdown the colored one for 5 seconds them had them colour in to match. My kids enjoyed it.
You can also use Lego blocks (or duplo) make a pattern, flash it and see if you kid can copy it. My kids got good at this one it was a clear favorite that they often played with each other.
Not free but Brain Box have a game that uses photographic memory and teaches facts too. You shoe a card, which could be a labeled famous landmark, then the back has a question about it. I havnt got it yet but will ( out of stock locally)
Just so they don’t leave the fridge open for ages I taught my older 2 to open the fridge scan the shelves then shut it and think about what’s in there to eat! lol

Hi Kaysha,

Pm me your email address so that I can send you my templates and icons.
Mostly, I make my own templates for picture backgrounds/icons. They are cartoon type since Tiger prefers them that way.
The grid ones I printed from tot packs (you know, Carisa’s) cause they are already the perfect size and oh-so-cute.

Show the template for 6-8 secs, then present the empty background for the child to place the icons/items.
Most importantly, make a big fuss if he gets it all right. “Good effort” “Wow, you remembered!” “You tried so hard, that’s great”

I also use the Ipad for matching card games. No mess and so much faster than using physical cards. We are using 24 cards at the moment. I just start tapping and naming the cards from the upper right hand side. I do it really fast, probably about 1/3 of a sec for each card. If he remembered the pairing card’s location, he will tap it. Going really fast will help with focusing, esp when we are out and about. The last time we did this in public, the lady next to us dropped her jaw lol She probably never heard about this forum.

Like Mandaplus suggested, we also use the brainbox cards. I flash for 6 secs and then ask simple questions like how many birds were there? What colour was the umbrella? You can use any picture books or magazines.
Mandala are great too but Tiger is just getting the hang of it.

Thank you so much for the tips! I honestly do not think he is ready for Mandalas, although I will do them later. I just started introducing the grid style memory game and I don’t think he quite knows what I am asking of him yet. Hopefully in a few more sessions! I am really intrigued by that iPad game. I don’t own one yet, but may ask for more specifics when I get one (someday).

I am so impressed with what all Tiger can do! I definitely couldn’t ask about the number of items on something I flashed him! Even though we have done Doman dot cards and LM, he just doesn’t get the concept of matching numbers or counting.

I also love the lego block ideas! I will have to do that when he understands patterns!

I will definitely look into Brain Boxes!

Thanks so much again!

When you use the cards from the Brain Boxes, how do you use them?

Oh, and for anyone interested, I uploaded the basic Thomas and Super Why memory grids I made. http://memorizingthemoments.blogspot.com/2012/11/memory-games.html

I bought little ringed books of 3 and 4 color mandalas and matching coloring booklets which took a month to ship from Singapore. I purchased an extra set of coloring papers for my son to use. Cost me $50 several months ago. Then last week another forum member told me about an Ipad/iphone app called “Mandala” that does the exact same thing with no mess, for free. :huh: boooooo.

We’re still going to use them so I’m less bitter about it. :tongue:

Understandably so! I don’t think Xander would fully “get” Mandalas yet. I would love to be able to show it to him on an iPad, but we do not have one (although I am in a contest to win one). Thanks for letting me know about it, though. I will have to remember it if we ever get one.