Phonological Awareness

Cortical reorganization in dyslexic children after phonological training

http://giftedbabies.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/cortical-reorganization-in-dyslexic.html

Phonological awareness refers to the ability to detect or manipulate the sounds in words independent of meaning. This earlier post is related-

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/language-learning/msg36970/#msg36970

This is an interesting blog

“As I have said many times, many dyslexic students can read fluently in Malay. They can read as well as any other child. Why is this so? Plainly stated it is because all words in Malay are phonologically consistent. (Except for the letter ‘e’ as pointed out in my earlier articles)”

http://www.parentingdyslexia.com/2010/10/phonological-awareness-defict-is-not.html

Chris.

Mature readers rarely decode text –they are able to read whole words or phrases at a glance. Having to decode every word can cause problems with comprehension and requires a lot of mental effort on the part of the child.

Parents who read to, tell nursery rhymes, use alliteration and regularly speak to their children are developing their child’s phonological awareness. Babies acquire low level awareness by listening to words.

We, like thousands of other parents, successfully taught our three children to read with flashcards and only introduced sounds and letter names after they had learnt to read. Deeper phonological awareness was developed using wooden alphabet blocks and letter cards. We used to make three letter words and replace the initial, middle or last letter to make new words. In addition we used to point out words within words and demonstrate how the letters could be rearranged to make new words. These supplementary activities developed the ability to spell-my son was assessed at 7 and it was determined that he could spell at the level of a 14 year old.

Activities to Directly Develop Phonemic Awareness Skills
Free Activities for Teachers and Parents

http://www.righttrackreading.com/morepaactivities.html

Please see link to normal hearing development in children

http://www.drpaul.com/growth/hearing.html

Kids’ hearing losses often go undetected

http://blog.oregonlive.com/themombeat/2009/06/kids_hearing_losses_often_go_u.html

Chris.

Great links :slight_smile: I am working through the ones I haven’t read. I liked the teacher and parents one, it showed some great ideas on which letters are easiest to start with and which ones are harder. The ones you can say without distorting the sound for longer are the easy ones. Mmmmmmmmm, sssssssssss, llllllllllllllll, Ffffffffff, etc I think this is a great place to start.

Chris invited me to post.

“The best early predictor of reading difficulty in kindergarten or first grade is the inability to segment words and syllables into constituent sound units (phonemic awareness)” (Lyon,1995).

"The evidence is clear, whether from research, good practice observed in schools, advice from submissions to the Inquiry, consultations, or from Committee members’ own individual experiences, that direct systematic instruction in phonics during the early years of schooling is an essential foundation for teaching children to read. Findings from the research evidence indicate that all students learn best when teachers adopt an integrated approach to reading that explicitly teaches phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary knowledge and comprehension. This approach, coupled with effective support from the child’s home, is critical to success.
The attention of the Inquiry Committee was drawn to a dichotomy between phonics and whole-language approaches to the teaching of reading.
This dichotomy is false.
Teachers must be able to draw on techniques most suited to the learning needs and abilities of the child. It was clear, however, that systematic phonics instruction is critical if children are to be taught to read well, whether or not they experience reading difficulties…
(National Inquiry into the Teaching of LIteracy- Australia- also supported within the UK and USA government reports. )

Phonological awareness isnt about print- so make sure you are focusing on the speech sounds - not letter sounds.

Chris- some children can learn to read using sight words because their brains can process the information and understand the other skills needed- by hearing the sounds in words and how they link to this print. At least 35% of all children cant however- and you cant see what is happening in the brain - so most parents and teachers only realise when they are failing- or struggling when they cant memorise any more words (the brain can only retain a few thousand) . As already posted I believe it to be dangerous to spread the word that using sight words is preferable because it is for some- but not for most. Many very intelligent children with good memories can memorise these words and this masks the phonological awareness difficulties that are necessary for good reading and spelling. Phonological awareness is NOT phonics- and is the basis of reading and spelling difficulties.
I am not speaking about one child and their ‘journey’- Im speaking out for all children. They deserve the most effective ways to prevent difficulties. Dont let them fail because your child suceeded - as if this somehow means its beneficial to the majority of children. Every single government report of the last decade recommends against a ‘whole language’ approach and points out that systematic phonics teaching is beneficial even to good readers and spellers. ALL brain imagaing studies- actually looking at what happens in the brains of poor and good readers- support what these reports recommend. We need, as parents and educators, to be much more aware of what is happening in the brain- or likely happening- and to know how to pick up on clues about what is missing- rather than focus on print, and on whether they say a word when looking at the flashcard. There is so much more that needs to happen- and we can give children much more.
You say your child learnt using sight words however this is very unlikely to be true. What would happen is that the child had a great memory but ALSO a brain that much more efficiently processes speech sounds and how they link to sound pics (letter combinations that represent speech sounds) He was lucky - in that the sight words didnt hinder him. Many wont be so lucky.

Also remember that reading includes meaning. 46% of Australians cant UNDERSTAND what they are reading if they can decode it- well enough to follow the directions written. It doesnt matter why- what matters is that we stop using what we think will work for our child- using another child as an example that this ‘works’ and instead look at rigorous evidence-based research and also what works long term for the most children- especially those with LD.

“Underlying this report by the Committee for the National Inquiry into the Teaching of Literacy is the conviction that effective literacy teaching, and of reading in particular, should be grounded in findings from rigorous evidence-based research. The global economic, technological and social changes underway, requiring responses from an increasingly skilled workforce, make evidence-based high-quality schooling an imperative. Nowhere is this more important than in the teaching of reading (a key element of literacy) since reading competence is foundational, not only for schoolbased learning, but also for children’s behavioural and psychosocial wellbeing, further education and training, occupational success, productive and fulfi lling participation in social and economic activity, as well as for the nation’s social and economic future.”
AU Inquiy into the Teaching of Reading 2005

So its great that - despite believing your child benefited from sight words- that you are realising that phonological is a HUGE component of reading and spelling. Some ‘get it’ - but many dont and need direct, intentional teaching.

I have posted an hour clip about starting with phonological awareness- its broken into 4 parts. It was to accompany the shaping Reading Brains DVD - for parents buying the Speech Sound Pics folder- or wanting to make their own. So although there are 6 sound pics to start off with - s,a,t,p,i,n - the focus is on what to do before you even introduce the phonics (print) So start with developing an awareness of the speech sounds that these can represent. If you go to the facebook page youll see all the Speech Sounds - in clouds- that represent these 6 speech sounds. So for example there are 8 ways to represent the ‘sss’ speech sound and not just the letter s (8 sound pics)

Please always remember- phonological awareness is NOT developed using letters, blocks etc. Infact this can confuse them- we dont want them to look at anything- we want them to close their eyes and ‘hear’ (or look at mouths, think about what happens when they say or hear these speech sounds) Children dont need to have any idea of what letters are to develop this- and it should start first. Ideally Prep children (first year of school) should have at least a term on just phonemic awareness before even being introduced to letters or words- even high frequency difficult to decode (at that stage) words.
So although this is about hearing speech sounds- its not to do with hearing loss (although of course that will factor into it as they cant hear so well- but the focus is how the interpret what they hear.)

The 47 minute video has lots of ideas about what to do as well as clips of pe-school aged children doing them. They are split into 4 clips and can be seen near the top of the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/readaustralia They are below this link - just posted by a parent and teacher
http://reading.uoregon.edu/resources/bibr_pa_concepts.pdf - that gives an overview of what phonological and phonemic awareness etc is.

Children are all so different- and much of what is different cannot be seen- as its happening in the brain. So we need to teach as if children dont have these great brains- like your child- and that will lead to them having spelling and reading ages of much higher than expected for chronological age etc…We also need to be much more aware of what we are actually teaching that is beneficial - it may not be the part of the teaching you think !

Reading scientists - neuroscientists- would say that this statement is misleading and inaccurate despite your perception of what was happening in their brains.
“taught our three children to read with flashcards and only introduced sounds and letter names after they had learnt to read”

So just be careful as it can reinforce this idea to parents who may have children who dont have brains that can do this- without ALOT of phonological awareness training and phonics in order for them to learn to read and spell. In addition to having these brains you must have been also giving them the stimulation they needed to make sense of it all- so look not at what you think you did, but what they processed. That would be more beneficial to others. You would no doubt have created a language rich environment even before showing flashcards - using songs, books, rhymes, talking etc. You might have pointed to words as you read so the children understood how you know what to say. All these things are changing the brain- and far more beneficial to reading and spelling- than flashcards. However parents think it must be the print that helped- and infact it usually isnt. So forget the flashcards and tell parents what you actually did- that you took for granted and perhaps didnt realise was the real reason you helped them develop their reading and spelling brains. In that way you will give parents much better tools with which to help their own children. Just shift the focus and think outside the box- remember all the things you did to develop phonological and phonemic awareness that had NOTHING to do with print. For example there is a clip of me helping develop phonological awareness while driving the car- talking about the r/oa/d etc- giving speech sounds- like I said, many children cant hear that words are made up of smaller parts- and need help.
Teaching a whole word goes against that as it again teaches them NOT to look at the smaller parts. And even though you say they dont- when fluent- that again isnt strictly true- it is just happening really fast. When you come to read a word you arent sure of your brain has to slow down and you become more aware of what it is actually doing- like if you say the following outloud- ’ This gallimaufry is multitudinously gargantuan, puissantly capacious and ineffable Junoesque and in consequence of such Protean tribulations…’

Hope you find the videos helpful and thanks for inviting me to comment. If I am personally attacked again I will stop posting again. I may be getting negative karma points for ‘lecturing’ but does it really matter if you like the way I write or post- or that Im sharing information that can help at least 35% of all children who will never read for understanding unless taught using the very strategies I keep telling people about. I do try to back it up so you dont think its just my opinion- but bottom line - its based on what works for children who do not have ‘reading’ brains. You cant know that until they fail - and for many learning whole words as sight words masks that.

Em
http://youtu.be/Lxs-RazOU8U

ps the attached photo is the very reason why we created Read Australia - every child is unique- and we cannot teach as if all will learn in the same way. We MUST focus on individuals- rather than hoping all will ‘fit’ our education system and pay much more attention to the learning process we cant SEE.

pps I apologise to Mandabplus3 - I went back and it was not you that had posted personal insults towards me and my ‘crap’. I am a member on many forums and asked to be guest speaker on many but I admit this has been an experience like no other.

I hope the above has some more useful information and that people will at least consider a focus on what is going on in the brain- not what they can see - or think they can see and is happening. We can actually SEE from brain imaging studies- see what happens when we ask children to do certain tasks- we can SEE what happens with good readers - and see from brain scans of 4 year olds which are the ones who dont have that ‘reading brain’ and need specific training. So yes, I am going to be to the point about it- I work with thousands in any one school district who have to fail before this training is offered. Im asking you to offer it from birth- and have told you how to do it. The rest really is up to you.

I do not want to spend hours of my time writing facts and then being criticised for my delivery. The facts are what will help your children. And I do not wish to upset anyone, so I will leave the forum completely.

Oh I am not taking that one without a comment! Perhaps you should go back and read everything I actually wrote! I was VERY supportive of you being on the forum sharing your knowledge. My criticism was in pointing out that the way you communicate here is not in keeping with the general tone of this forum. I have as much right to disagree with what you post as you do to disagree with thaughts on whole language learning. the difference is I tried to be open minded. Post all you like, I am not a moderator! In fact I will unsubscribe from this topic and not post any comments at all. This thread is all yours, write whatever you like :slight_smile:

Thank you Chris1 - those were some really useful links. I really liked the website http://www.righttrackreading.com/whatpais.html with its very concise and helpful summary of phonological awareness and some really useful exercises to assess and then games to help develop PA in our children. I’ll definitely be adding a PA session into our day - it is great that it can be carried out whilst running around, in the car etc. We played I spy with my little eye using speech sounds today and it worked very well. Nevertheless, I am confident that my DD will only enjoy these games in small amounts as they feel a bit like ‘testing’ which she hates (even if I try to make it really fun!) so I don’t think it will replace our other reading strategies - after all as it says in all the literature - a combined approach is best for most children.

Thank you ReadingWhisperer. I think a lot of people have benefited from your posts. I think they did start out a bit combative but I didn’t read any of that here. I will use many of your ideas to teach my son.

Phonemic awareness is primarily an auditory skill and according to research is most effective when children are taught to manipulate phonemes with letters. This is the method that I used with my children after they had acquired a large sight vocabulary.

Evidence from brain scans-

“This research suggests that for dyslexic readers, the left brain areas associated with phonetic decoding are ineffective. While a non-dyslexic reader finds such pathways an efficient route to reading, the dyslexic reader essentially becomes entangled in a neural traffic jam. In contrast, dyslexics who bypass these mental pathways, relying more on areas of the brain involved in nonverbal thought and in analytic thought, are able to become capable readers.”

Read more: http://www.dyslexia.com/science/different_pathways.htm
This research suggests that focusing on phonemic awareness and or phonics might be harmful to these older dyslexic children. The brain is, however, amazingly plastic and early intensive phonological training might benefit these children. Interestingly infants who have had their left hemisphere removed because of tumours usually develop normal speaking and reading skills. Their brains compensate and plasticity allows the right hemisphere to develop these abilities.

It should be noted that a quarter of the world’s population uses a logographic system in which each symbol represents one idea. “Stevenson (1984: 299) considered that in the long run there may little difference between the number of words that can be read by literate Chinese and English-speakers, because if you know four thousand characters, many more combinations can be comprehended.”

Also brain scans have not shown that flash cards are harmful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcyt5UqiCA

Plasticity and Critical Periods
“Between the ages of six months and a year, your baby is primed to be multilingual. Infants can distinguish the basic sounds used in every language, such as the consonants used in Thai but not in English. But consistent exposure to only one language, especially from hearing their parents and other family members, makes infants’ brains focus on the sounds that are meaningful in that language. By his or her first birthday, a baby who hears only English can no longer distinguish among those Thai consonants, because their subtle differences have no meaning in English. And a baby who hears only Chinese does not notice a difference between the syllables “ra” and “re,” which are not used in Chinese.” It is essential that babies are consistently exposed to the sounds of their own language during this critical period-oral phonemic awareness develops during this period. Hearing issues and to a lesser extent, strong regional accents are likely to cause problems.
http://www.dana.org/news/brainhealth/detail.aspx?id=10054

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_K4Lhk6w4&list=UUILcILrOjNPqvv06RfFoQLA&index=4&feature=plcp
Developing understanding through discussion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDofD9RuCU8&list=UUILcILrOjNPqvv06RfFoQLA&index=2&feature=plcp
Chris

Its impossible to do research (even though its logical to assume) to show that flashcards can prevent us (educators) from seeing the way in which their brains are processing information and to see that we need to focus on speech sound links to print. Flashcards make children focus on the whole word and not its parts. With some children it doesnt matter as their brains are ‘wired’ to enable them to make sense of it all whatever we put infront of them (as long as we do give them the stimulus)

ALL recognised and respected reading scientists would tell you to START with phonological awareness and focus on oral abilities as the optimum strategy for all children from birth- BEFORE print (whole words OR phonics). This means that even if you cant access brain imaging for your child you can avoid difficulties- but this helps all brains regardless. Our focus is on prevention however- the children who are finding it very hard to understand the reading and spelling process because they are being asked to memorise words as a whole shape. How could these children who are looking at the flashcard ‘plate’ then read it if you change it to ‘plane’. The videso show memory- not encoding or decoding which is the foundation for effective reading.

When you teach a child to link speech sounds with sound pics there is no need to teach them to memorise whole words. And all gov reports support this. Not sure why you think teaching flashcards first would ever be a good idea. There is no research to support that at all.

I really dont want to be involved in this as I thought this thread was about phonological awareness and how using this FIRST- way before even introducing print - is the most effective way to help any brain. It seems instead that you are arguing flashcards should be taught first- there would be no recognised reading researchers - only parents or people trying to sell a product - that would ever do this.

If you do want to know more about how to prevent difficulties rather than hope your child will suceed using home grown ideas - then do join the facebook page. I could have this argument anywhere- there is a world full of parents and well meaning educators who support teaching whole words as some wort of teaching strategy.

Sight words that are high frequency tricky to decode words can be used to get children reading sentences early- eg I, was, the - so that they can quickly start reading the books in line with the sound pics they are learning (see SPELD SA etc for free downloads) So they can read sentences like ‘The ant was in the pan’ without having to have a picture or be told the sentence first by the parent.This is decoding- and because its also meaningful it also helps the children understand why we read. But to teach a child flashcards so they can say the words as if that is reading? It isnt. Its just memorising. For a child to read (and spell) with confidence long term they need the skills to do what you do when reading this ALOUD.

“This gallimaufry is multitudinously gargantuan, puissantly capacious sand ineffably Junoesque and in consequence of such Protean tribulations …” Ive posted it before.

So we teach them from the beginning. Some pick this up quickly- some dont- however the ones who wont WILL if you take the approach Im talking about- which is exactly what all government inquiry reports etc recommend.

So its not something that is worth discussing- and just because your children are doing well - and you THINK you know why- doesnt mean this is actually true. To know why they did well you needed to look at brain activity as they did things. Thats what our focus is- looking at brain activity of children whether good or poor - to see what helps their brains modify networds. You showed a link at the beginning about dyslexic children - if these had had phonological awareness training FIRST they wouldnt have these dyslexic brains. So its a no brainer that parents should start with this with their child just incase- because you cant tell which are likely to have difficulties eg dyslexia until at least 4. We start from birth.

http://www.facebook.com/readaustralia

Im personally extremely grateful to the Reading Whisperer for bringing the crucial skill of phonological awareness to my attention. I’ve been doing a lot of reading around and have found some interesting resources. What is clear to me is that developing phonological awareness is absolutely critical for children to be able to read effectively. What is less clear is that oral and auditory activities should always preceed reading activities and that reading activities should never include some aspect of whole word (plus phonics) teaching for preverbal children and babies. I believe that these approaches can actually be used to increase phonological awareness if combined with a range of other activities, and that young children are able to soak up and combine learning from multiple sources and in a variety of ways without getting confused (hence the ability to learn multiple languges) I’m also 100% certain that RW will never agree with this so I’m not asking for validation!! It’s just my opinion. lol

There are lots more and I’ll post these in time. I’ve included a few quotes that I found interesting.

http://www.fldoe.org/ese/pdf/phon9872.pdf

“Most instructional programs in phonemic awareness begin with oral language activities. However, most also conclude by leading children to apply their newly acquired ability to think about the phonemic segments in words to reading and spelling activities. This is a very important point. Stimulation of phonological awareness should never be considered an isolated instructional end in itself. It will be most useful as part of the reading curriculum if it is blended seamlessly with instruction and experiences using letter-sound correspondences to read and spell words.”

we do not yet have specific information, beyond the simple distinction already made, about how much phonological awareness is optimal for beginning reading instruction. We might say, “the more the merrier,” but if we concentrate too much time in developing more phonological awareness than is needed before we begin actual instruction in reading, this may
be a waste of valuable instructional time. Further, it is not yet clear what the optimal combination of training tasks might be. We know training using oral language activities can stimulate the growth of phonological awareness, but it is also clear that direct instruction
in phonics and spelling can also produce development in this area

http://reading.uoregon.edu/big_ideas/pa/pa_what.php#research

“The effects of training phonological awareness and learning to read are mutually supportive. Reading and phonemic awareness are mutually reinforcing: Phonemic awareness is necessary for reading, and reading, in turn, improves phonemic awareness still further.” (Shaywitz, 2003)

http://www.sedl.org/pubs/sedl-letter/v14n03/3.html

“…reading by itself does advance skill in phonemic awareness and reading practice advances reading skill, and the more skill in reading, the more skill in phonemic awareness. This indicates a reciprocal relationship between phonemic awareness and reading, where skill in one supports development of skill in the other and vice versa.”

But the critical question is whether some amount of skill in phonemic awareness is critical before skill in reading can advance; the evidence suggests (especially that from training studies) the answer to this question is yes.

So we must not forget the importance of phonemic awareness and the good news is that it is also developed through active reading activities

Is poor phonological awareness the only problem?

A poor auditory short term memory could also prevent a child from learning to read using the phonics method. If babies have poor auditory short term memories they will not be developmentally ready to learn to read using phonics.
Is it better to start with flashcards and only introduce phonics once the child has developed their auditory short term memory? For phonics to work the child has to be able to remember the sounds in sequence.

Read more- http://www.thereadingclinic.co.za/e/auditory-memory-2.htm
Chris.

Researchers have discovered that children under the age of two control speech using a different strategy than previously thought.

During the study at Queen’s University, the researchers changed the vowel sounds that the participants heard over headphones as they talked. They found that while the adults and young children changed their vowel sounds in response to this altered feedback, the toddlers did not.

“We were very surprised to find that the two-year-olds do not monitor their own voice when speaking in the same way as adults do,” says Ewen MacDonald, a former Queen’s research associate and now associate professor at the Technical University of Denmark. “As they play music, violinists will listen to the notes they produce to ensure they are in tune. If they aren’t, they will adjust the position of their fingers to bring the notes back in tune. When we speak, we do something very similar. We subconsciously listen to vowel and consonant sounds in our speech to ensure we are producing them correctly.”

The researchers have proven that toddlers use a different strategy to control speech than adults. They still have not pinpointed the exact method children under two use when learning to control speech. Future studies are being developed to determine what strategy toddlers are using.

“Understanding the development of speech is a complex and challenging problem. Using novel techniques, such as the ones used in this experiment, we can isolate and better understand how the different components of speech develop,” says Dr MacDonald. One possibility is that toddlers rely on the interaction with the person they are talking to in order to judge the accuracy of their speech sounds.

Source: Queen’s University