Phonograms and sight word games

My 4 and 6 year still need a lot of help with reading. With my 6 year old she has done lessons but still needs work with fluency. She is learning all the phonograms and then I want to work on the fry list with her. She almost has all the phonograms down but today I did a game with her where we went up and down the list of ones she needs to learn and if she says it right she puts it to sleep. She enjoyed the game and it allowed her to go over the ones that were hard lots of times until she got it down. Since the fry list is big I want to find games to do with both my 4 and 6 year old to help them get instant recognition and to make it fun. I want to come up with several games I can do with them. I want to get my 6 year olds reading level up so I will find lots of books at her level. Is there a way I can work up to harder and harder books with her? My 6 year is an audio learner. She does good with certain aspects of learning but the visual memory often holds her back especially with reading fluency. It doesn’t appear vision related.

These are the games my children loved to play, them and any kid who turned up to our house for a play date :biggrin:
http://www.mrsperkins.com/dolch-games.html
We like the board games better then the bingo.
The Dolch words are Sightwords like frys list just a different list, mostly the same words.
We have many other games also. I shall look for some more links. The preschool prep app games are worth the small fee. They teach the sight words also.
For your older child be sure they read EVERY single day. Better if you can do it more than once a day. The repetition and regular exposure helps immensely with fluency and recall. As you select books if you happen to get some that are a little difficult at times try buddy reading them. You do one page and your child does the next page. This way they are exposed to new and more difficult words and still get to enjoy the story.
I also recommend sticking any words they are struggling to remember onto their bedroom door. Each time they enter they have to read the password. :slight_smile:

Manda, these look great :slight_smile:

I’m really struggling to get my 3 year old to sight read anything. Even words he has seen many, many times in LR he will either look at blankly or sound out (if they are cvc or simple 4-letter words like duck) - he only shows interest in trying to read words that he knows how to decode. I think the games at the end of the new LR sessions are helping a tiny bit - he still guesses or uses initial sounds most of the time, but sometimes he goes for the right answer immediately.

I’ve been really struggling to think of a way to make sight reading words fun for him. Flashcards are out. LR is still fun at the moment (day 5 :rolleyes: ) but he has repeated the first sets of lesson words 3 times now and still doesn’t show that he recognises them. I think these games might just be what I was looking for - I don’t want him to feel pressurized by more flashcards as they really don’t excite him at all.

Do you know any other reading-based games that might help us? The ones I have are all phonics based, but it is the sight reading that he doesn’t seem able/interested in doing.

Did you dig around that site? they have other games too. Roll, Say Keep was a hit here (my kids are competitive lol ) and the dolch dice game called Dolch Phrases also. It took me a while to find all they had to offer from memory. I printed and laminated all teh game cards and still use them now. They have survived a dozen children, loan outs and still my kids pull them out for fun!
Have you got the preschool prep app games? I will keep mentioning them as they truely do work :biggrin:

Have you played silly sentances games before? sort out some flash cards with interesting words and take it in turns making and reading the silliest sentances you can. “daddy has a nose like an elephant” “mummy is a banana head” type funny stuff the kids LOVE it and as they are laughing so hard they usually want to read the words quickly. Its a good giggle and good practice and very low stress practice. :yes: