Phonics for Home Methodology

Teaching phonics at home

This is a good one for me. I was never taught phonics, but entirely whole words. This video clearly breaks down and explains the rules to me. Thanks!

LOVE THIS!!! Thanks. I am noticing m son while he recognises many words at 2 he hant tarted reading books on his own yet…

He knws thesound each letter makes… and recogises each letter so I am going to ry phonics combos more this week… see if I can give him some added help. The word recognition has worked well for themost part but i think my son needs just a lttle something more to help explain something… so thanks

yes, great vid! thanks!

This is really brilliant. I particularly liked the rule of C and K. makes teaching my son much easier. thanks

I never realized that about C and K either!

thank Kyle, a great video. karmas to you

For Mandi, about teaching phonics to your child, i would rather just wait, till my child can read sentences, read my post on the same as to why

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/how-good-is-funnix-reading-program-(phonics-based)/new/#new

Thanks for this video - I think it’s helped me… :slight_smile: I don’t remember any phonics rules so this was very interesting. I found myself putting all the marks to spell a word earlier!! Not sure when to incorporate this information… Perhaps later on, but did enjoy the video - Thanks.

TABS

hi there

i’ve been thinking more and more about phonics. i think i will implement it when my son is 2 and a half. i think a combination of both methods,phonics and sight, would have the best result as you are helping them with reading and spelling. why wait till later for spelling when the younger they are, the easier it is. wont it be easier for them to learn it when they are younger like anything else they learn.

i know that some schools that took away a phonics based programme to teach reading had a bad result. i think i read it on the brillkids book that was free to download. not sure but i prefer the best of both worlds

Hello,
I cant see any video/ link!
Can I pls see the video?
I am teaching my 3 yrs old daughter phonics through Montessori way and would like to read reviews.
Garima

I believe both phonics and sight word approaches are important. I started my girls with phonics. Phonics is what allows us to sound out unfamiliar words we come across and what helps us with spelling. Sight words are also important because they are what allow us to be efficient readers. At a young age, sight words are usually high frequency words (such as Fry’s Word list). I also focus on words that have irregular spelling and can’t be sounded out (such as: one, two, you, etc.).

Eventually, as adults, most words become sight words because we have seen them so frequently. This is what separates efficient readers from those who are not. But great adult readers are also able to read unfamiliar words (and determine the word’s meaning due to the root/prefix/suffix and context) and the only way I believe this is possible is to have an understanding of how letters and sounds work together…phonics!

I didn’t watch the video but there are many kid friendly sayings, like “When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking.” This is the vowel team rule, when two vowels are together in a word, we only hear the first vowel and it is a long vowel (ex: train, toad)

When teaching phonics, I think the first step is teaching the difference between long and short vowels. There’s some really great music I found that teaches basic phonics such as long vowels, short vowels, rhyming, ‘qu’ (Q and U are friends), hard and soft c and g, silent e… I love to use music for learning! :slight_smile:

http://www.earlytolearn.com/2009/reviews/music-songs/phonics-music/

I have that audio phonics works great for us, it has a song, and the worksheets to go with it. Everyones technique of teaching phonics varies from person to person. I myself was never taught phonics as a child, so now that I am teaching it to my child I have been studying different methods and found this website so far to be the best besides starfall, and jumpstart program. http://www.dreamenglish.com/phonics