Perfect pitch

Hi there,

I am just wondering if it is a common occurance for children on this BK forum to have perfect pitch. I have just discovered that my 34 months old can recognise notes by telling me if it is a ‘High C’ or ‘Low C’ or ‘A’. He cannot do sharps or flats though. I was shocked… and am dearly hoping that my 28-years-old yamaha keyboard is properly tuned, haha. I haven’t really been properly doing a music program with him at all, though he can play a few simple tunes on the keyboards.

Just curious,thanks!

I very much believe they will and are on the right track! Or they already do and I just don’t know it…they surprise me everyday! :slight_smile:

hi all:
my little one can name notes when played on the piano (no looking at the keyboard, just listening):
“nikki, what note is this?”
“do!”, etc.
she can also match the pitch to someone who is singing. like, whenever she sings a song from one of her videos it is always in the key it is sung.
this is the first step to “perfect pitch”. right now, it is pitch memory, but i believe with continued practice this will develop into perfect pitch (or very good relative pitch… i’m fine either way).
she has been doing this since she was about 15 mo. old, and getting better all the time. it happened at the same time she learned the sounds of letters (from leapfrog).
i started flashcards with her as well, and she can identify notes in treble, alto tenor clef. the next step is to have her sing the pitches she sees on the flashcards.
will keep you posted,
the doc :clown: