perfect pitch - tuning forks

I really like the tweedlewink idea of playing notes to your baby so they can recognise pitch. Even if they don’t develop perfect pitch, relative pitch is a valuable skill to have.

Where have people purchased tuning forks from to help their child develop perfect pitch? I notice that rightbrain kids don’t sell them any more.

I use tuning forks to tune my guitar & I don’t find them practical to use with babies. I have to hit them against something hard to get them resonate then touch them to my guitar which amplifies the sound. To hear it without the guitar it needs to be within an inch of the ear. Babies wiggle and touch the tuning fork which stops the sound, but it is good for a giggle. I also didn’t like the idea of my kids playing with them, they just seem dangerous.
I really wanted something my kids could play with that was indestructible so I got the glockentoddler http://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Like-Fun-SLF-10005-Glockentoddler/dp/B000KRVD2M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1239241451&sr=8-7
Product Features
Perfectly tuned
Musically correct
Brightly colored
Great musical introduction

The mallet is all one piece so not a choking hazard. So far it has lasted much longer than a lot of toys do around here, and is in much better shape than the hardwood floor (my son likes to throw it & listen to the sound it makes.) I show my kids how to play it & sing the pitches as I am playing. It has been a month since I got it & I haven’t decided if I am happy with the purchase yet. My kids can’t play it yet, if they learn I will be thrilled. My daughter actually made a good attempt at playing it today.
I have also been happy with playing the computer games from the Soft Mozart website.

Twinergy - I am having difficulty believing that a child’s instrument which is quite well priced is in tune! I presume you’ve checked it with your tuning forks?

A xylophone is an excellent idea for teaching pitch. A proper orchestra grade one would be quite expensive - the Glockentoddler product looks promising if it is correctly tuned!

I checked it by against a midi program & it sounded accurate to my ear (so this is only as accurate as my ear.) I also checked the E (Mi) note against an electric guitar tuner & it was right on the mark. That was the only note I could verify with the electric tuner as rest of the notes are in a different octave. I also checked several reviews before buying it, because I had the same doubts, and all i could find was parise of it’s accuracy. I have put my kids to bed now, I will write more later.

Glockentoddler continued…
I wanted to also mention that this instrument is not as easy to play as it looks. It is easy to strike the keys wrong so they don’t resonate; it takes a quick strike to make it ring (I hope this makes sense.) I think a toddler would have a difficult time getting the tone to sound good. Maybe they will surprise me. The other con I have noticed is that one of the mallets is permanently bent after my twins played tug-of-war with it. All things considered it has exceeded my expectations for an inexpensive toy. I was happy enough with it to buy a second one, now they each have one to play with (except when one twin is hording both).
Sorry I didn’t get back sooner, it’s been one of those days.

Thanks Twinergy. I’m sure that everyone interested in the topic, including myself, will be waiting with baited breath to hear more from you! :slight_smile:

I amended my previous post under Glockentoddler continued… Please go back and read the bottom of the post if you haven’t seen it yet.
Also I tried to record playing the Glockentoddler so you could hear, but I am having computer problems. Hopefully my husband can get it resolved soon and I can get a decent recording.