Parents--are you right or left brain dominant?

I just found an easy way to make the dancer spin whichever way I want!

Let’s say you want her to spin CCW. Do this:

• Look away
  • spin your finger CCW (as you look at your finger)
  • Look back at the dancer
  • Dancer should now be spinning CCW

To spin the other way, repeat the above, except spin your finger CW.

Try it and see if it’s just as easy for you! :slight_smile:

After a bit of practice I’ve worked out a way to make her spin whichever way I want too :slight_smile:

I look down so that I can just see her extended arm and leg in my upper peripheral vision, and then trace their movements so that to me, they appear to be going clockwise or anti-clockwise. Then I look up and there she goes! I find it difficult to switch her direction without looking away though. :happy:

Shuki

Okay, I still don’t get the spinning lady thing.

No matter how much I try to cross my eyes or look down or stare at my spinning finger she’s still going clockwise.

It must be one of those optical illusion things, like those books “Magic Eye” or something. I could never do those either.

Oh well. Grrr. ( lol )

I can’t either, Elizabeth. It is an optical illusion according to the article KL posted. It gives a tip that’s supposed to help you see it spin the opposite direction, but I still cannot see it.

OK, how about trying this.

In addition to the steps I outlined above (looking away at your spinning finger), after doing that, try to imagine the dancer spinning the way you want her to, in your mind. After you see her spinning in the desired direction in your mind, then look at the image again.

btw, re seeing the ‘magic eye’ pictures, you need to be able to cross your eyes so that you can see two of everything. The link that Shuki posted also requires this ability. (again, here is the link:
http://brain.web-us.com/brain/Visual_Test_Hemispheric_Dominance.htm )

If you can use that exercise and get good at crossing your eyes and controlling how the 2 images move (further apart and closer together), then you can start playing with those magic eye images.

Here’s one: :slight_smile:

http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/gallery/d/5043-2/duckie_magic_eye.jpg

hmm i was too scared to try those eye-crossing excercises, Kl and shuki, I thought eye crossing was bad for your eyes?? :blink:

right brain dominant 11 to 7 too. I can see the woman moving the other way round but only after a while and for a short time, then I see her she move clockwise again

It’s a duck!

nohayo - by all reports i’ve heard from the many optometrists and surgeons that i’ve spoken to, as well as all i’ve read online, there’s nothing to suggest, medically, that crossing yours eyes is bad for you. Nor does reading in dim light or sitting too close to the TV cause any permanent damage. They are all urban myths! :smiley:

(disclaimer: this is not to say you should read in the dark or sit too close to the TV, it will still give you a mild headache for a while lol )

Cheers,
Shuki

edit: on the topic of optical illusions, here’s one that gives you a headache WITHOUT crossing your eyes! :slight_smile:

http://www.skytopia.com/project/illusion/rotsnakes3.png

Thanks shuki for clearing that up !! :slight_smile:

Yeah couldn’t do that Magic Eye thing… But I did get the lady to spin the other way, finally, for like a second. I covered half of her body (vertically) and then it worked. She is actually spinning on her left leg and the right leg is the one that is lifted in the air, but if you pretend that it is her left leg that is lifted in the air, it then appears that she is spinning counterclockwise. Don’t know if that made any sense but, yeah, I was getting so frustrated with that thing so I’m glad I finally figured it out! So crazy!

That picture that you put up, Shuki, is crazy, it looks like its spinning! Strange stuff, these optical illusions!

Yep. I did a science fair project on them when I was in school.

Hi there, I got 13 Right and 5 Left and was right brained donminant. I could see the duck just fine!! The lady goes anti clockwise for me.

Interesting stuff!!!

TABS

I was suspecting this, right brain dominant 14 to 4
Well that surely will help me with my child :biggrin:

i am right brain dominant 10 to 8

interesting. now i understand the way i think better

Dear All,

I am right brained 10 to 8. And I saw the lady spinning both ways. I could not see the duck, and I got a little dizzy from the blue kaleidoscope-like image.

This is some very interesting stuff and now I want my husband to take the tests. :slight_smile:

• Ayesha

right

LEFT BRAIN

left brain

right brain

I am right brain dominant 12-6. I am not surprised i am also left-handed

Although i am confused because I see the lady spinning both ways. Weird, I also did really well in school, so I wonder if as adults if we discipline ourselves enough we can switch between brains? What does everyone else think?