Other methods for mental math?

Hi Mandabplus3!

I am interested in a more detailed summary of “Speed Math for Kids.” I am so tempted to just order it but am wondering whether it would be much too advanced for my daughter and would just be collecting dust on my bookshelf. She is a few months shy of 4, but has skip counting and her times tables 2-12 down pat. She can multiply two-digit numbers from left to right using the abacus/soroban, but is still working on doing it mentally. She thinks and talks about numbers all the time! She was practicing violin the other week when she excitedly blurted out, “Mama, I discovered something in my head! Divide is the opposite of times! So, 6 divided by 2 is 3, and 8 divided by 2 is 4, and… (so on and so forth)” At that time, I had not started teaching her division yet, except for showing her Doman equations and Tweedlewink. Btw, I am also doing Jones Geniuses with her, and I wondered if there is a lot of similarities (if any) between the two programs?

What an amazing opportunity your daughter has had! To be able to learn math young enough that she has the time and opportunity to figure out divide all by herself is quite priceless. She completely understands the concept now for life :biggrin: She could use the book now. It is quite different to abacus and if you are in an Anzan based program you may need to make the differences clear. Otherwise she ay use one when you want her to be learning the other :slight_smile: I don’t think it’s much like jones genius, but i don’t have it so…
Ok so my book report lol
Teaching times tables
Times tables- intro
Multiplication- this teaches the simple method of mentally calculating out the times tables as well as how to set out written work using this system. This is why I bought the book. It also teaches us what to say in out heads and what order to do the problems in and how to beat the calculater. It teaches how to calculate 8x7 98x135 and 16x14. It includes some practice sheets for each level of the technique at the end of my book.
Checking work- teaches how to cast out nines, I found this fascinating and a great technique to teach kids how to quickly check answers, not unique to this book though well explained.
Multiplication- part 2 teaches how to do the more difficult multiplication problems mentally and with paper. These are the ones with numbers further away from 10,100 or 1000 it uses factors which never made more sence to me :slight_smile:
Shortcuts- as shown in previous posts. Talks about using the simplest method possible. Lots of tricks to play with. Probably not useful for brillkids but parents this one is for you lol
When to use direct multiplication is the next chapter. It explains that sometimes their is an easier way. And encourages kids to look for them.
Alphametics- using letters instead of numbers for some fun :wink: Ummm isn’t that algebra in disguise? It’s learnt to teach the properties of numbers, good for kids who like to think.
Factors that determine intelligence! - well this one I wasn’t expecting in a math book! Essentially intelligence is developed :biggrin:
Helping your child develop intelligence- contains some useful discussion topics you can be prepared for. This chapter gives strategies as well as a heap of puzzles to get the brain working. Probably too hard for a four year old but some could be adjusted and drawn with pictures.
Practice sheets and answers-says it all.

So Speed Math for Kids
It’s part two in my book but is sold separately. This is the one you want to buy. It has ALL of the above plus
Multiplying decimals
Addition and subtraction, including giving kids ideas on the easiest way to do subtraction. Some speed strategies you may not have thaught of yourself ( although some will already use them :slight_smile: )
Division and devision using factors. I have only skimmed these chapters they require a brain to play around with it in order to give you a summary. My brain was sleeping lol Beyond early learning but good for my older kids.
Fractions- an easier way to add fractions with different denominators. yep I remembered that word from high school :biggrin:
The last bit of the book has a bunch of interesting stuff including Japanese and Russian tally marks, estimating and some more tricks ( for the record he doesnt like us using the word tricks :wink: )
Buy it and if you find it sitting in your cupboard gathering dust ( because like me you find it hard to even start reading a math book!) take it on a plane trip with lots of pen and paper to practice…you will enjoy math! challenge the person sitting next to you with a calculator app lol

Mandabplus3, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to post all that info! I really appreciate it! After reading through your summary, I think that it might still be too advanced for my daughter at the moment. However, it looks like it might be very useful for me to brush up on my own math skills and, hopefully, also learn a few new techniques along the way.

Thanks again and karma! :slight_smile: