Opinions needed

Hi, I live in a non-English speaking environment. I would like to expose my daughter to more English words, sentence structure especially in conversation. At present, I am showing her YBCR and Baby Signing Time. I thought of showing her videos like Dora the Explorer, Sesame Street, Disney (Mickey Mouse…). Are these videos o.k? If not, please suggest some educational DVDs. Thanks.

try poko from canada … can try getting it in dual language so baby can also learn another language or your own local language …

POKO is based more on EQ than IQ. So for a 2yr old or close to … it should help on EQ development on top of learning to read … i plan to show her when she is 2, 2+. Too much cartoon isn’t healthy especially under 2 or 3yrs old. So may have to watch it with them and then explain why …

hope it helps

I have seen “Dora the Explorer” on TV. I would not buy it because there are very few words in English per one session. I have similar problem - living in monolingual environment and wanting to teach English to my child.

check these links
http://www.early-advantage.com/product/MuzzyEnglishTrialOptin.aspx
(this might be something very good)
and
http://www.hello-world.com/English/index.php

and also check the offer of Brillkids partners - tweedle wink, wink to learn, Little Pim.

I will say, music is the way to go, I am not a big tv fan, i guess signing time is ok…my 14 months old doesn’t like it she will cry everytime I try to play the show fro her.
Music cds
books
flashcards

Kids learn so fast by music , they love it!! I teach spanish in a preschool to kids who doesn’t speak spanish, and they learn spanish, singing the songs, flascards, book, of course you can do this but in english.

Just to give you a little idea of what works for a baby. Combining YBCR and Baby Signs will become confusing for a baby since they have to recognize two different cues for the same object. It is better to stick with YBCR only. Friends of mine are teaching their son both English and Chinese (they are Chinese living in the US). She wrote the Chinese words below the English ones and calls them out individually. She has had great success with that program. In the end any stimulation you give a baby is positive and you really can’t break them teaching them anything.