Online public school

Hello all! I have not posted in a while. I joined a homeschool group for my area. A lot of them do an online public school. My worries about this is I want to be able to go at our own pace, and study what my children are inerested in at the time. Do any of you use an online public school? What do you think of it?

I was thinking about going this route as well with K12. I’ll use it to make sure all the basics are covered (it certainly helps that it’s free) and supplement with whatever I want.

I’m interested to see what others have to say…

K12 is supposed to be really good, and kids move at their own pace.

K-12 is not free in all states so be sure to check. I like using www.time4learning.com, www.abcmouse.com and www.lessonpathways.com If you have a child that is an audio learner and does well with videos, games, and interaction with the computer then yes, however if you have a child who is more hands on then you will need to back up the virtual school with a craft or lapbook or a supplement workbook like the ones for School SPeciality, Commprehensive Curriculum workbooks, they are around 20.00. I use virtual school for all of my students in one way or another less for some then others. Depends upon the child.

There are K12 cyberschools and there are Calvert schools. I like K12. Its rigourous, and you can excell at your child’s pace.
Most cyberschools won’t allow enterance until the age of at least 4.5. So keep that in mind if you go the public cyberschool route.
Also be sure that its available in your state, not all states do cyberschooling.
I did this for about 5yrs and it was a good thing. Its not for all families. but is a good chance to get your feet wet in homeschooling.
Cyberschooling can be a good thing but sometimes they may also ask more of you than if you homeschooled on your own. Each state has different homeschooling laws. I don’t see a reason really for them to be in states with easy homeschool laws. We have about 12 in our state of PA but we also live in one of the most restrictive homeschooling states in the country. We have to jump through lots of administrative hoops in PA to homeschool so to many cyberschooling seems a much better way to go. Problem is it can burn you out very quickly if you have more than one or two children.

Thanks ladies! I definatly appreciate the input. The thing that really pulled me into it was the fact that the k-12 program here (WAVA) allows the students to go for public school sports. And that they also have monthly meetings with teachers and other WAVA students, for field trips and to just communicate with others in the program.

Well here the schools do not allow homeschoolers to participate in any sports or any field trips with the public school, so please be sure to check with each school and the district.