Not testing????

Hi Everyone!

I know with the doman method that testing your children is frowned upon, So my question is how do you know exactly where they are at? If they are ready to move on or still need to be shown the cards more times to really understand and take in whats going on?

I guess I find it hard at times to ‘trust’ the method. I would love to know where Sophia is at…It wold also help me to improve her programmes and tailor learning to her specific needs rather than a one size fits all method, if you know what i mean?

I do have the YBCR slide cards and show those to her regularly and have done a naughty thing where I have asked her “which card says tiger” and she does pick the right one 90% of the time and other times picks the wrong card.

Is there a way of ‘finding out’ without testing her?

Kimba15

I remember reading in Doman’s book on teaching reading that once a week or so you can play a game where you hold up two cards and ask your child show you which one is the one you are looking for. For example, hold up the “gorilla” card and a “bubble” card and ask “which one is the gorilla?” Rather than repeatedly saying “What does that say?” If she makes a mistake and points to the wrong one, don’t say no, just say " you meant THIS one, right? The gorilla!" Then lots of hugs and kisses. I think he calls it make choices. Stay joyous and good luck!

Thanks for that I was wondering what to do.