Non-Chinese Speaking Mandarin

I am very impressed with these kids, whenever I see these commercials.

Incredible!! Thanks for posting!

They all sound as if they were taught in Mainland China or by a Mainland Chinese teacher.

wow, that’s amazing

I’m wondering if watching little pim and other DVD’s on regular basis is enough for small children to learn a language

AMAZING!! Although I don’t have any worries about my son not learning mandarin and speaking one day as a native speaker this video definitely gives me motivation to continue doing all that I do:) Thanks for posting!!

patience,

Would you mind sharing what you do with your son? Do you know mandarin?

I really want to teach my daughter madnarin, but I don’t speak it. I have been thinking about buying the Little Pim DVD, but I’m not sure if that would be enough. Also I go the Pimsleaur CD’s so she can listen to them when she goes to bed.

Ideas???

Dear Joha and Everyone,

I am still learning the language, but I do have a mandarin teacher who helps a lot. I get all of my material through her. Along with wink-to-learn and flashcards, I speak to him as much as I can in mandarin and my teacher will also talk to him after our lessons. There are certain phrases that I say on a regular basis to him and so I have learned how to say them in mandarin as well. For example, “Put your shoes on”, “Put your clothes on”, “Come here please”, “What’s the matter?” and “Are you hungry?” We also listen to nursery rhymes and I also learn them on my own so that I can sing them to him when we are away from home. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

I love it! Truly amazing and very cute! :slight_smile:

impressive! i’m looking forward to receiving the little pim vids i ordered for my toddler…will keep you posted as to how things go…

I borrowed a Chinese Little Pim DVD from the library, and we love it!
Good luck! :slight_smile:

I would love to be able to have a teacher!! :yes: , but can’t afford one and doubt there is someone that speaks chinese where I live. I have been listening to some Pimsleaur Mandarin cd’s :ohmy: and I’m not sure if I’m going to be a good resource for my daughter :frowning:

I think I’m going to buy the Little Pim and I’m going to borrow the Muzzy Chinese from the library to see how she does. Hopefully this will be a good start up for her.

Joha, that sounds like a great start! You would be surprised at the people who speak different languages in any given area.

If you live by a university or community college, you can always ask around and see if there are any students who would be willing to teach.

purplefungi,

Thank you so much for your note. I actually live in a very small town with 10,000 people, that is it! :rolleyes: so we have very limited resources here. :frowning: When I talk about the library I mean the one at my mom’s city. I went to the library here and they were very excited because they had just gotten some baby einstein dvd’s :nowink:

However, your idea about th college is great. :yes: I may stop by the community college here to see if there is a chinese speaking student. When would be a good time for that? My daughter is only 5 months old.

Dont forget www.semanda.com for free pdf files printable flashcards in lots of topics and basic vocab lessons in Mandarin.

Oh my goodness! This is a great resource! Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

That is a tiny city! I think we have almost ten times that number within our county. I think the only thing that I’m worried about is the “crazy” factor. I guess I’m worried about what people will think with a baby that young even though it is the ideal age to begin teaching a foreign language.

Maybe at two it would seem so outlandish, but if you’ve got more guts than I do why not ask around and see if there is someone willing to either help teach you, or play with your baby while speaking the language? There is a French school south of us, and they start at four years of age. There is a Chinese and I believe a Korean school an hour north of us that I’m not sure at what age that they start.

If I was rich enough, I would have a foreign “nanny” come to my house. There is also the foreign exchange student idea. For instance, my city is the sister city to Hofu, Japan. Every year exchange students come for two weeks. I’ve always wanted to house one, but it would be difficult for me because I have to work and there are activities that they need to be taken to. Also the local community college seeks out families to help take in a foreign exchange student for the entire year. I would LOVE to do this, but you are required to drive them to and from campus which would be 25 minutes from my house, and college students have crazy schedules. I don’t know how my husband would feel about having someone else live with us. He isn’t as open as I am, and it would be a little weird to “parent” someone is just a little bit younger.

I know that you are trying with the Pimsleur CDs. I worry too that I will not be enough for my little one. I don’t even know if I am saying things exactly right. I’m definitely not even close to being fluent in Spanish or German (I’ll be finishing up my second semester of college German next week). I feel very inadequate at this point. Taking a German class is very my sneaky way of trying to learn another language. I love languages so this is for my own satisfaction, but the real goal is being able to teach my children in the future. It is too late in my life for any foreign language learning to promote me into a better profession, but for my children the world is theirs.

I’m also sure that people here would be more than happy to help with any pronunciation, grammar, or usage questions. Just like I would be very happy to help with any English questions if needed.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Dear Joha and Everyone,

When I first started having lessons with my teacher, I discussed my reasons for wanting to learn the language, with one of them being to teach my son. She suggested getting a student at a nearby University to come and read to him so that he could be exposed to the language. As I improved over the course of our lessons she told me that my pronunication was really good and that I should read to him myself so I decided to take her advice and did just that. Now my issue is finding more books :slight_smile:

I don’t think 5 months is too young, the earlier the better. Definitely look around at your local college cause you never know, you just might find someone :slight_smile:

Also, I am not sure if you spend much time on the computer, but if you have skype you can find someone to have lessons with you through there. There is a website that I joined called mylanguageexchange.com that I have met many people from all over the world. Hope this helps and good luck!!

That’s really impressive. Actually, I was a professional teacher, teaching cihnese as a foreign language. But I am not experienced in teaching babies and kids. I just started showing flashcards to my 6-months baby. Hope in the future, she can do the same as those in the VDOs. :slight_smile:

I saw one of these commercials on TV and was pretty blown away by these kids. They sound like they’ve lived in China for years. The pronunciation of these kids are much better than the average Singaporeans. I’m a native Chinese, but living in Singapore and surrounded by English speaking people, my son speaks Chinese with a heavy accent (like you would expect from a Non-Chinese).

This is a WONDERFUL idea! Thank you very much! I thick my German teacher would be interested in the mylanguageexchange website too so she can practice also! :slight_smile: