No word flash in new version of LR - does it matter?

Hey everyone!

I’ve been doing the trial version of LR with my now almost 11 month old and am considering buying the full version. The only thing that is putting me off is the lack of Word Flash in the new version. For those of you who use it - do you think that matters? I’m just a bit confused because I thought flashing the words up quickly was such a big part of the philosophy behind right brain learning…? I understand it’s been replaced with sight words which do flash up quickly but does it affect the learning of the topic words?

Thanks for any input! :wacko:

I only notice this change now that you mention it. I think that the lessons have grown in length, now that they have the sight words, word split and games, later lessons also have stories, so I’ll agree that the word split was taken out because other things were added. Many kids dislike the word flash too, for another reason they might have taken it out. I will agree that it’s beneficial to have the word flash, if your child will sit for all the word flash in one session, (too much might make him resist the entire session.)

Remember that the courses are customize able, you can easily change the picture flash in the beginning of the session to a word flash instead, or add a mirror lesson to your session, mirroring the picture flash set, but displaying it as a word flash. If you’re not familiar with it, many people don’t even try to change the courses in fear of “breaking” it, but my suggestions can be done with a couple of clicks and you’re done.

Thanks for your reply! I knew LR was customisable but didn’t realise you could add in whole new lessons like word flash etc - that’s great! Although I had intended using the iPad mostly because it’s so much more convenient than the pc and as far as I know those lessons can’t be customised? Maybe I’ll have to treat myself to a nice laptop for my next birthday…!

Hi derialc, to clarify for you: Yes, the lessons in the new LR English curriculum no longer start with a Word Flash lesson. It wasn’t completely removed, as instead it was replaced by the Sight Words lessons - still in word flash format, but the words used in the lessons are based on the Dolch word list.

Yes, you can customize your curriculum as MamaOfWill suggested. Another alternative is to create a Playlist and add in all the categories you want to show, then set the playback mode to “Word Only” so your playlists will play as a word flash lesson.

About Little Reader Touch (for iOS and Android), the app only has limited playback setting options so it’s not possible to fully customize your lessons in it. However, you can play individual categories in word flash mode instead of the default mode (Multisensory) by following these steps:

1. Open LRT, then go to the Lesson Library and tap [Categories] at the top of the screen

2. Select the category you want to play (like “Action Words 1”)

3. A smaller window will pop-up, showing a preview of the pictures and word list for your selected category. From the right side of the window, tap [Play Lesson].

4. Tap the pink [Default] button just above the play button, and in the “Choose Mode” menu, tap “Word Flash.” Notice that the pink button is now named “Word Flash.”

5. Tap the Play button to start your word flash lesson!

That’s really great to know Kezia! I didn’t realise it was possible to change any part of LRT! Thanks so much!