No more BPA in U.S. baby bottles

No more BPA in U.S. baby bottles

Parents rejoice: Soon you will no longer have to look for the BPA-free label when you shop for baby bottles. The six largest manufacturers of baby bottles voluntarily agreed to stop using bisphenol A, according to a story in the Washington Post.

The manufacturers declared their intentions after Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, joined by the attorneys general in Connecticut and New Jersey, wrote to the bottle makers and asked them to voluntarily stop using the chemical.

"The evidence seems too clear and emphatic and unequivocal to say we should simply permit this stuff to go into children on a massive scale," Blumenthal said yesterday. "And there's no reason for it, because there are substitutes available."

Bye, bye, BPA!

Bye, bye, BPA!

Bisphenol A, commonly called BPA, has been in commercial use since the 1950s and is found in everything from plastic beverage containers to compact discs. It is ubiquitous: A recent federal study estimated that the chemical is found in the urine of 93 percent of the U.S. population. (I wonder what those 7 percent are doing that everyone else isn’t?)

The chemical mimics the hormone estrogen and may disrupt the body’s endocrine system. Public health advocates say it poses a particular danger to fetuses, infants, and children because BPA can interfere with cell function at a point when their bodies are still developing.

What’s more, over the past 10 years, more than 130 studies have linked BPA to breast cancer, obesity, and other disorders. In September, the study of BPA in humans found adults with higher levels of bisphenol A had elevated rates of heart disease, diabetes and liver abnormalities.

Despite all of this, the FDA has maintained that BPA is safe, relying largely on two studies that were funded by the chemical industry. Though the agency is revisiting its position.

So if the FDA says it’s OK, why are the big companies volunteering to go BPA free? “Consumer concern about the chemical has placed increasing pressure on manufacturers and retailers. Late last year, Babies R Us and other major retailers told suppliers they would no longer stock baby bottles made with BPA,” according to the Post.

"We made a business decision to move out of BPA," Shannon Jenest of Philips Avent, which is number one in U.S. dollar sales of baby bottles, told the Post.

Philips Avent stopped selling baby products with BPA on Dec. 31 in North America but continues to market them overseas, she said. "We felt like we had hit a tipping point with our consumers and with our retailers," Jenest said. "Babies R Us was banning it, Target was going to, CVS was going to, and so the distribution channels were lessening and lessening."

What about sippy cups? They are just as important as bottles, and we still have to look for the BPA-free labels. How about all the other plastics that use that contains BPA? Virtually every plastic now has it b/c it is an inexpensive and tough.

I hope this is only the beginning of eliminating it altogether.

It’s about time! It’s a pain to look for the BPA-free label all the time. It’s sad that it took so long for the manufactuers to be in the best interest of the babies. They probably still aren’t, but at least they know that consumers want safe products.

That’s a good news but still the other kind of containers will have it. That’s why I switched for glass lunch boxes for adults in my house and a steel bottle

Even though you switch to steel, or a metal container. those too are going into our bodies. I conducted a research about drinking from cans and my metal content along with others went sky rocket. After stop drinking from cans and went to water from the purified faucet mine and others metal content was almost gone. Even deoderant that has antiperspirent as aluminium in it. I just even heard in my state that some stores are dicontinuing selling baby clothes do to the lead found in the labels. Who would think? We have to resort to consignment shops to get clothing, then the worry of labels having to be cut out of clothing after purchase. I wonder of the juice pouches have BPA as well? My son loves to drink from those pouches. We never really know what we ingest. For instance the water here has flouride in it for our teeth. But flouride in high volumes does not need to be swallowed according to its label, it can cause sever stomach trouble, etc. So see no matter where we turn there is something in our items. Even eating from a can, and what about those fruit cups, and fruit pouches do they contain BPA? If you get to thinking about it some baby food containers are plastic, and the jars have metal lids.

I use a Brita filter to eliminate chlorine and fluoride from tap water and just got containers from Klean Kanteen for me and the kid - I’m very happy with them.

Stainless steel is non-leaching.

http://www.kleankanteen.com/index.html