Next step? 2 year old finished LR, not reading yet

Hi all,
I have been taking my son through Little Reader once a day, before bed, since about 15 months. I haven’t been doing a lot else to encourage reading apart from reading story n
Books, a couple of iPad apps and playing with letters occasionally.
He is not reading yet but I have been very impressed by how Little Reader has expanded his vocabulary! He also has figured out the sounds of some letters and knows that a segment of text ‘says’ something. I am really pleased with these steps as I was never really setting out to start him reading anyway. I was hoping to enrich his reading experience.
Anyway, my question is what next? As you might tell from my post so far, my approach is quite relaxed. I’m interested in continuing to expand his vocabulary, continuing to stimulate his interest and continuing the LR progress he has made is recognising words letter etc. any ideas apart from just reading together? Thanks for any help.

I don’t know what you should do, but I can tell you what we have done. My boy is 26 months old today. From 18 to 24 months we went through the entire ReadingBear program. I think we finished about a month early. We do still watch them from time to time just because the vocabulary is excellent (and more abstract at times). He can now read phoenetically; he’s not perfect, but his ability is fairly solid. Maybe take a look? ReadingBear.org - it’s free

I can’t tell you the “best thing” to do next, but I do have some some ideas for resources for the next step. Personally I would begin explicitly phonics instruction now using The Reading Lesson, I would go back through the Little Reader and I’d keep a steady rotation of reading products in the house. You can check many of these books/dvds out from the library or find them for streaming online.

1. Label Your House
    Its easy, simple and really pretty cheap. Type up labels, one word per page in pt72 font and print them out. Tape them up around the house and point out the words to your kids.
    Some things you might label in his room are: calendar, bed, toy box, book shelf, shelf, closet, blocks, crib, changing table, etc…
    Start with the 2 rooms you spend the most time in, just do 4 labels a day/week and add more as needed. Point them out, underline the syllables in each word and when you point them out say something like “Look, baby, this says Table. See?” Run your finger along or touch each underlined part “Tay-bul”

2. Interactive Reading Based Websites
    StarFall
    ReadingBear
    TeachYourMonstertoRead
    ReadingEggs
    ClickNKidsPhonics

3. Reading based DVDs
    Leap Frog DVDs–The order for them is this
    Letter Factory
    Talking Word Factory
    Talking Word Factory 2 (aka Code Word Caper)
    Story Book Factory
    PreSchool Prep Series
    Meet the Phonics
    Meet the sight words
    Quality Time Education (These are dated but ideal for young kids because they are slow-paced, not to bright/flashy but engaging. Don’t watch it all in one sitting they are over an hour long)
    Ready For Phonics
    Beyond Phonics
    (If you get the DVDS you can print worksheets to accompany each episode/segment)
    Rock N Learn
    Letter Sounds
    Phonics Volume 1
    Phonics Volume 2
    Phonics: Easy Readers
    Sight Words Volume 1
    Sight Words Volume 2
    Sight Words Volume 3
    Read Along Stories
    Signing Time each sign is introduced along with the TEXT of the word so I’d make simple flashcards for each word in each DVD. I recommend this order
    Practice Time ABCS (because they teach finger spelling and there is the option to watch randomized practice sessions where she will spell a word and you have to figure out what she spelled)
    Signing Time Vols 1-5
    Then any video you want to watch, in any order. The reason that I recommend Signing Time in this order is because those first DVDs aren’t as flashy/fast paced as the latter volumes. But, you know your child best so feel free to disregard any of my advice that isn’t optimal.

4. Books to Teach Reading From
    The Reading Lesson (my #1 choice)
    Alpha Phonics
    Phonics Pathways
    The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
    Teach Your Child to Read in 10 Minutes a Day
    Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

5. Graded Readers for Beginning Readers
    Bob Books
    Now I’m Reading! Readers
    I See Sam Readers
    Dick and Jane
    Sight Word Readers

6. Free Resource Websites
    Reading a-z (extensive Free samples but is subscription based)
    thePhonicsPage
    Progressive Phonics
    Ultimate Phonics Word List

7. Library Card!
    Last but not least, get a library card and when you go, pick books with LARGE letters. Get a bunch of those different My First Word type books, toddler books and read them with your child, not just too your child. Also continue to read fun books to your child and always read to them from books at least 1/2 a grade level above their current reading ability. You can find many book lists of “Must Read” books for PreSchool - 6th grade. I’d keep a good mix of Preschool, Kindergarten and 1st grade “Read Aloud” books on hand from the library. Always point to the text as you read it.

Thanks! Plenty of ideas to choose from! Since I wrote this post I have discovered he knows the sounds of at least half his letters - odd as he has never explicitly been taught, at least not in a systematic way and he does not read whole words. He has been insisting on grabbing a flip phonics book before bed and ‘reading’ the sounds of the letters. It would be unfortunate to not go forward from here as he is showing more interest than I initially thought. Here I am thinking he is not the early reading type but we will gently plug away to prepare him for school so he is not like dad (who had reading issues). It is amazing what infants absorb.

Hello! There are great resources in this post. Just wondering whether anyone knows about sites similar to Reading Bear, Reading eggs etc in SPANISH? I just started with ABCmouse and realized the Spanish translation is quite poor :frowning:

That’s great. And I think it is good to go online to read further.

Thats Great, Even My Kid has just completed two and he is able to speak the words but not full sentences, Even I have recently created Android App for kids named as “KIDS COMPLETE LEARNING”…It contains all the information with images and voices. Request you to please check this App, its completely free on Google Play, Hope It will help you :slight_smile: God Bless !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kidslearning_by_robinraina.kidslearning