Newbie here

Hi! My name is Kris and I have a son, Noah, who has down syndrome. He is 8 yo. I homeschool him along with his 3 siblings. i came across your site through a Facebook page. My son has severe to moderate speech apraxia, I am looking to find a program to teach him how to read. I hope to learn more. Thanks!

Welcome! My 4 year old daughter also has DS & the Little Reader program has been a huge part of her success. She is now reading above a 3rd grade level!

I don’t know a lot about apraxia, so I’m not sure if our experience will help you, but I will share my observations just in case. When my daughter reads, her speech is more clear than when she is just talking. I also noticed when she was younger, that words she learned by reading, we’re spoken more clearly than those she learned by us speaking to her. Kids with DS are very often visual learners, so it makes sense that reading wound be a visual way to learn to speak.

Thank you. I am going to try the free download trial and hopefully I can get enough points to get a discount on the program. The economy has hit my family pretty hard.

Krisdr, please check out the Foundation Tab for information on Sponsorship if you have not done so already. :slight_smile: There are a few posts about this in the Special Needs forum as well. Best of luck!

Thank you. Applied today.