Newbie . . . . going to start "teaching to read" next week! ????s

Hi All,

Very excited to be here. I have a 10-month old daughter and I plan on teaching her starting next week. This week I am making some resources to use. I live outside the US right now, so I’m not sure if I will able to find some of the books I’m looking for so these forums were a great find! Right now, I’m in the process of reading as much as I can and making flash cards and trying to make my own version of Your Baby Can Read using home video.

Any suggestions or directions as to where to start would be greatly appreciated. I’ve found one or two helpful threads for getting started but also looking for examples of what others did with children less than a year. Also, if anyone has any personal experience starting at 10-months or what’s best for around that age, please let me know.

One question I have now as far as some planning . . .
I think I understand Doman’s sequence of teaching how to read but I was wondering, if I’m starting with reading next week, how long do I keep this up before I move onto or adding math? Any suggestions as far as what you did, are doing or what is a suggested sequence for that? I know my LO will dictate much of the learning but I’d just like an idea of time frames. Thanks!

Welcome, teachermom!

Great to hear that you are making all the effort to create not only your own flash cards, but even a video!!

After you do that, it’d be great if you could make a Little Reader category out of it, including the video, and share it with the rest of us. I can see it being very popular (and getting you many many points! :slight_smile: ). You’d probably need to compress it into .flv . If you need help in doing that, let us know!

Re sequence between reading and math, I don’t think there is any. Many of us show both reading and math. You can do them at different times of the day, or during the same session, depending on your LO’s attention span.

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of work. I am also interested in learning from parents who have started teaching to read at young ages. My daughter is a year now and I started her a few weeks ago. She is walking and very active so I find that she has no concentration span and I have not been able to do any actual sessions with her - I have some flashcards stuck to the wall that I point out when passing them. I found I could get through only the animal playlist with little reader and then had to switch to something else - and I think it was the animal sounds that kept her attention.

I am also using books about colour and shapes with few words and bright pictures to teach her the “point to” concept as once she knows how to point to things reliably it will make me teaching her a lot easier. I am also teaching her to “bring me” something (her soft toys etc) in the hope that once she knows the words she will be able to “bring me” the flashcard I ask for.

If your daughter is not walking yet though you will probably manage a flashcard session fairly easily.

Hi,
I’m also preparing to start teaching my child (13.5 mth) to read in a few days time. The GD’s book on How to Teach your Baby to Read suggests that the words be 3 inch tall on a 4 inch x 24 inch card. Just wondering if it is fine if I shrink the words to fit into an A4 size (8 inch x 11.5 inch) paper? I can then print out the flash card using my printer with standard A4 size paper and fit them into clear loose-leaf page covers and put them in a ring binder. This helps save time instead of writing the words onto cardboard. I can also present the flash cards to my baby using the ring binder.

I’ve tried with the printing, the tallest/largest word I can have for the word “elephant” is about 2 inch. Is this big enough for my 13.5 mth old?

That should be fine. There are a lot of people who use a4 size paper. Plus your baby is older. I think it’s the younger babies that need the biggest words.

I have done them even smaller with my 13 month old - I use card 14cm x 10cm (5,6 x 4 inches) and then I draw 4 lines 2cm (0,8 inches) apart and write between those lines. It means the simplest word (eg ace) would be only 0,8 inches in height. What works best for me is to use a very thick black permanent marker - thicker words also stand out better than very tall thin words.

My daughter has shown signs that she can read them - she knows the word “dog” and “mummy” so the words must be big enough at her age.