new to the program. 15 month old not interested in reading - help!

Hi, I have only just signed up for little reader. I wish I had known about it sooner! I was so excited to get started with my daughter and had visions of doing it a few times a day to “catch up” as she is already 15 months and we are only starting this now. She is hardly speaking at all but does use baby sign language for communicating. My problem is she is not interested in little reader at all! Every time I sit her on my lap and press play, she will watch for a few seconds and then strain to get down. I have tried starting with animals which she finds most engaging with their sounds and videos but even then it is short lived. Is this normal or does she have an incredibly short attention span? Will it improve? Any suggestions?

Hi mom3!

If she’s not interested, then best to put it away for a while. Different children respond to it at different ages. Some love it before turning 1 and not so much after, but some don’t take to it until 2 when they suddenly ask for it every day. We’ve heard all sorts of different stories from parents. Each child is different, and the key is to play it by ear.

Try giving her something to do with her hands. When I do LR with my daycare kids I put them in there highchair with some crackers or cherrios. They occasionally miss a word because they arenpicking something up but they see about 90% of the words. Plus I cheer really loud after each section so they get really excited.

Thanks so much for writing back and for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I will try keeping her busy with snacks and see if that works otherwise will give it a break for a little while.

Put the computer away but use the curriculum in a different way…

For example:

Lets say you have a list of 5 words for the day head, eye, point etc.

You could use a different scenerio…

1. Write the words out on sturdy cardboard… sing a song… hold up the word point. then sing… POINT, POINT, POINT to your head POINT POINT POINT to your HEAD>… and give your child a chance to hold the cards and repeat the song… they often have the opportunity to hold and see the word… and are able to be interactive and really hands on.

2. If you have a sandbox build some “castles” and casually spell out some words in sand along with play and tell her what they say.

3. Hide some words in an obstacle course around the house and go on a “Word HUnt” take really BIG steps, tip toe, march and crawl…

4, Put word cards on top of a blanket and turn on the music and shake the blanket with your daughter… when the words fall off go get them and read them together… if you laugh and get silly your child will love it.

My son went through a time where he didnt like the flashcards… and now he loves little reader again… he took a break for over a year. We just incorporate other activites and squeeze leaning in other ways. Most important thing is to have fun.

What great ideas!! You sound like a super fun mom :wink: