New Study Finds At Risk Dyslexia

I’ve been reading up a bunch on early reading, the readiness BS that the education gestapo puts on us, and the theories of dyslexia. One hypothesis in particular holds my attention the most: that dyslexics do not graduate from right brained reading into language (or phonological) reading; in fact one researcher (Miller) held that there was a threshold that hardwired the brain… it’s pretty fascinating stuff actually.

A study was just released two days ago:
http://www.insidescience.org/news-service/1.2447

I’d like to point out that the article discusses dyslexia well before a child attempts to read! The conclusion is that “intervention” is wise “at an early age”. In my book, there’s nothing earlier than early learning! Intervention, as used in modern education and in the article, is equivalent to phonics.

That’s good, because that’s exactly what I plan on doing! :yes:

Interesting, but it doesn’t seem like a lot about dyslexia can be concluded from the study. Still, an interesting read. Thanks for posting.

My brother and father both have dyslexia. And they both went to Ivy League schools and have master degrees. My brother learned (without help) to read at 2, despite the dyslexia. He did get intervention at some point in early elementary school. My father did not read well until he was much, much older-in his teens. They are both voracious readers as adults though, and obviously were not held back by it.

PokerDad, I can’t help but notice the pregnancy weeks listed by your name are nearing 20 weeks. :slight_smile: Do you plan to find out the baby’s gender?

Found out the gender two days ago… BOY :slight_smile:

Congrats!!!