New Member Introduction

Just wanted to do a quick post to introduce myself. I am grandmother to a 6-year-old boy, Emilio, who has a lot of developmental delays because of being shaken at the age of 7 weeks. I ran across some posts about Little Reader last night while trying to find more information regarding “fast flashing.” After reading more about the program on the brillkids.com site and various reviews I found on the Web, I told my daughter I thought we should give it a try and see if it can help this precious little kiddo learn to read and maybe also help with his speech, as he is almost completely nonverbal.

I sat down with Emilio a little while ago and we did the first session of the day 1 content and he really seemed to enjoy it. I saw lots of big smiles, he tried saying some of the words, pointed to various body parts, and was very, very excited when we got to the game at the end and wanted to take over the mouse to point out the right picture! We will try the second session this evening when his mom gets home from work and see what she thinks. I know that I’m pretty excited about seeing what will happen and hope that his mom will want to go ahead after the trial is done and apply for a scholarship through the foundation. We’ve been trying various things on our own this summer which have involved laminating lots of pictures, words, PECS symbols, etc. But some of that stuff probably seems pretty drab to a little boy who loves using his grandma’s Kindle Fire to play games and always tries to get a hold of the mouse to play on the computer. I’m pretty sure that using a program on the computer that is just for him and teaches him to read is going to just put him over the moon with joy and completely capture his attention!

Welcome to the forum!