New important research on baby language videos/dvds

I think there was already a topic on this but what do you all think about babies not picking up a thing when they watch a foreign language dvd or audio cd unless either the parent is participating or there are real people on the dvds not Dora the Explorer?

I pretty much believe it except for the fact that my 20 month old baby girl seems to repeat a lot of words when we listen to our French cd in the car. And she definitely knows some words from our French Dora the Expl dvd which makes me think she is absorbing some of the story line in French. As a matter of fact, it’s so cute, because she refers to Dora and Boots in their French names and she says it in such a great French accent that it sometimes shocks me. It’s just hard to believe that she wouldn’t be picking words and phrases up.

What do you think about the new research. How does it compare to the your kids have had with their educational dvds?

By the way, obviously I know it’s much better to hear French from a human speaker but that’s not possible every day.

Thanks, Lucy

My daughter has been watching Little Pim Mandarin since the age of 7/8 months. At 14 months, she said her first chinese word: whenever she sees dogs she says ‘gaaaaa’ (and streches the word) The correct pronounciation would be similar to ‘Gao’, but as she only says this word when she sees dogs (she does not say it in French her mother tongue) there’s no doubt in my mine she learned this from Little Pim.
But the next step now is to hire a Chinese nanny because i don’t know about her forming complex sentences in Chinese.