new here with 10 week old eager to learn

Hi everyone, Im new to this site and new to this early education thing. Ive recently purchased a dvd set “your baby can read” and dont know if anyone has tried it? is it any good? what would you recommend to teach a baby at such a young age? Im not rich and worry about her future, if all I can give her is a head start and a good education then I will put my heart and soul into it. where do I start and how much is too much? :unsure:

Hello smidget810

I’m also new here but I suggest you to search for “YBCR” which stands for Your Baby Can Read. I’ve seen a lot of people talking about it here. Go to the “search” link in the end of this page.

Hi smidget810 and welcome to BrillKids :slight_smile:
When I first joined the forum I read through all the past posts. About a week of sleepless nights but worth it.
Have you had the chance to visit www.brillbaby.com? You will find some free teaching books that can be downloaded. There are also infant stimulation cards you can start using with your baby. I personally didn’t start YBCR until after my son started whole word reading. I really like their series Your Baby/Child can Discover. When I started I used similar reading programs called Monki See Monki Do and BrillKids. BrillKids covers many more words than YBCR and also has sections for phonics, games, stories, multisensory which teaches vocab and you can also personalize or edit the lessons. Not to mention over hundreds of files that have been created by forum members that you can import into Little Reader.

I would definitely recommend teaching phonics to your baby. My son was reading phonetically at 15 months because he learned letter sounds, digraphs and blends. If I ever had the chance to teach another baby I would create flashcards of all the phonic sounds and teach the sounds the same way we have been teaching them to read whole words.

Once you start to read through past threads on this forum you will see that many of us have no limit to what is too much when it comes to teaching our children. Mario has the right idea whenever you are curious about a topic use the search engine on the forum and please do post any questions or comments you have.

I didn’t start teaching my son with early reading methods until he was 6 months old and if I had known I would’ve started at the recommended age of 3 months. You have already given her a headstart by considering early learning.

We look forward to hearing about you and Mario’s early learning journey.

Welcome to the Forum…i am also new here and m trying to get to know about other peoples experiences…

Good luck with everything :smiley:

Your baby can read YBCR we shorten it to! Is great. Definitely use it with your child. It doesn’t have enough words overall to teach reading IMHO so I recommend you supplement it with some flash cards, little reader program ( have you downloaded the free trial yet?) some phonics and read lots of books.
Some suggested reading for you. Glenn Doman wrote some books “how to teach your baby to read” is a must read. Your local library is likely to have it. It will teach you how to do flash cards. Take it wil a grain of salt and do what you can manage. The sizes don’t have to be perfect but the words do need to be big and bold.
Once you have read that one read lots of past posts on this forum and you will learn everything you need to know and more!
Welcome to you both! We love new mummies and babies here! :yes:

I’m also doing this Mela Bala… reading everything in this forum :yes:

This is a great environment. If EL had come to my mind earlier I would have started as soon as possible. I’m starting now and I see some difficulties with my active 18-month-toddler.

But since I already used to read to him, I think LR is being really helpful. Yesterday I got him pretending to read a message on the elevator, pointing to words and saying any word that came to his mind. Also I saw him pretending to spell the words “car park”, pointing to each letter and making some sounds.