New here: A teacher in China

Ni hao! Greetings from China!

I consider it all joy to be here as I watched the videos of babies who can read. It’s refreshing to know that there are a lot of good and tested teaching materials and I am also grateful for providing us some free copies.

I wrote to Lappy, “I stumbled upon your website as I am searching for materials to use in my English classes. I am following a curricula given by my supervisor and I want to supplement them with good reading materials. My students can sing and speak English well :wink: but they are having difficulties :confused: in reading simple English words and phrases…” And this is understandable as they have their first dialect at home and a national language to learn. Most Chinese teachers believe we will just confuse them with English reading skill lessons so we are expected to just teach them Oral English.

I added, " And as I always share to my friends here, waiting for Chinese kids to reach their age 6 and 7 years old or their first grade before teaching them to read is already late . A very hard task :ohmy: for children as well as for English teachers."

By the way, I am a single/unmarried/no-children-of-my-own English teacher who is staying in China and finding JOY, grace and fulfillment in my teaching job. I am having FUN and at the same time, I am the recipient of the generous warmth of Chinese kids. As I look at them learning a lot everyday, I sometimes take pity :frowning: to their ever busy parents who left them to us, teachers, the joyful :smiley: responsibility of teaching. If they only knew how smart, charming, graceful and kind their children are, I think they would even volunteer to be my assistant teacher lol

I hope to be always here and would love to learn more from a lot of parents and educators.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Soft Viktoria

Victoria, welcome to the forum and we are so glad to have you here. There are a lot of tips and advice from parents and teachers alike that we hope will be a help for your educational journey as well. Also, we have a Chinese Early reading curriculum for Little Reader, which can be an excellent way for young children to learn early reading in their own language as well. Feel free to share with us your ideas and tips, ask for questions and advice and participate in discussions. It is nice to have you with us!

Thanks for welcoming me here, Skylark. I notice that people here are very warm, too. :biggrin: I’m planning to be here more often and will try your suggestions. For now, I have to run fast as I have to be in school before 9 AM he he :wink: … this site is fun! I’m excited to meet many parents and educators who will be gracious enough to share with me their experiences and findings.

Out for now. Will be back after three hours lol

Welcome, Victoria! Which part of China are you in? It can be a jungle sometimes but I’m sure you’ll have many fond memories of the place when you leave (if you ever do)!

Hello, KL :slight_smile:

I’m now in one of the small cities in Zhejiang province, it’s in the eastern part of China. I am handling 6 classes of 5 - 6 years old talented/fast learners and mixed groups of children who are very much willing to chant, sing aloud and dance wildly in our classes. I am considering my morning and afternoon classes as part of my regular routine of aerobic exercises (which I have difficulty in joining in when it is held in the parks here). I think you can imagine now how active and restless these kids are :biggrin: We are always learning English through TPR group games, speaking games, singing and a little of reading as most of my children are expected to join in English Talent competitions held in different malls, schools, etc. Good that I am physically fit and can play with them in my old age lol By the way, I am a nutritionist/dietician and a professional teacher, too.