New book: Brain rules for baby

I found this book ‘Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five’ by John Medina at

http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Rules-Baby-Raise-Smart/dp/0979777755/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Looks like it will be released in Oct 2010. For more info check at http://www.brainrules.net/brain-rules-for-baby

Looks like a very interesting book - thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

The book has been released. If anyone has read it, please post your reviews.

You will view your children—and how to raise them—in a whole new light. You’ll learn:

Where nature ends and nurture begins
Why men should do more household chores
What you do when emotions run hot affects how your child turns out
TV is harmful for children under 2
Your child’s ability to relate to others predicts her future math performance
Smart and happy are inseparable. Pursuing your child’s intellectual success at the expense of his happiness achieves neither
Praising effort is better than praising intelligence
The best predictor of academic performance is not IQ. It’s self control

I really love this point and completely agree lol
Why men should do more household chores

John Medina sent me this book to review(plus one copy to giveaway on my blog) I’m 12 pages in and already hooked I’m going to try and read this as quickly as possible so I can get the review/giveaway up. But so far like I said I’m wowed!

Sounds a lot like “Nurture Shock”

I’m not sure? I never read that book before.

http://www.amazon.com/NurtureShock-New-Thinking-About-Children/dp/0446504122/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287254535&sr=8-1

Check out the reviews or “Look Inside” to see the table of contents. Lots of research done, some of which show the opposite of what we’ve traditionally accepted at the “right way” to raise kids; ie. praising kids(saying they’re smart vs praising their effort) actually can lower their motivation, due to a fear of failure and high expectation. It’s a nice read if they have it at your library.

Yes, I agree. A lot of similar findings to Nurture Shock, but there is some new stuff, too. One in particular that got me:

Myth: Children somehow find their own happiness.

Truth: The greatest predictor of happiness is having friends. How do you make and keep friends? By being good at deciphering nonverbal communication. Learning a musical instrument boosts this ability by 50 percent. Text messaging may destroy it.

All the more reason to pursue music lessons…

Haven’t finished reading the entire book yet, though…

I take it back, I reckon this book is even better than Nurture Shock. John Medina has an engaging way of writing that makes it very easy to read. The structure of his book flows much better than Nurture Shock’s haphazard layout. I’m only into Chapter 2 but he presents very good information about raising bright kids - things many might have previously considered irrelevant, such as the strength of the relationship between father and mother.

I haven’t bought the book yet. But looking only on what John Medina offers on his site and on what you wrote here, sounds more that interesting.
Can anyone give more feedback about it? I didn’t read Nurture Shock either…
Thank you.

Andrea

i read this book. i was not terribly impressed.

Seemed to fill in gaps of knowledge with opinionated arrogance. Seems someone claiming to mbe a scientist could do better.