New Board - Teaching Older Children!

By popular demand, here’s the board for you all to discuss issues relating to teaching older children (4 years and older).

Please try to keep this board active!

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Excellent, I am teaching my dd using the Doman method (she is 17 months) but I am also teaching my ds 10yrs at home. Unfortunately I didn’t use the Doman method with him.

Woo-hoo! :slight_smile:

thank you
i realy dont know how to teach my 2 years old math espically the dots? its more difficult for her to accept it !!!

Yay! Much thanks to GloriaD for suggesting this!

Angie

Yikes! Four years old is considered “old” now! Say it ain’t so!

THanks KL :slight_smile:

My 6 year old has no interest to read does any one have any idea how I can change that?

Ayana, I can only imagine how you feel. Even though it’s best to start teaching earlier, it’s still never too late. I didn’t start teaching my son till he was 4 and a half. I didn’t know about the Doman method or that it was possible to teach babies earlier. But one year on, he’s a fantastic reader, he’s reading books 3grades above his school year.

I’m no expert, but I would suggest you let him know how much fun reading could be, read to him, get books on topics he likes, if there’s a particular superhero he likes, get books on that and read together. Give loads of encouragement, loads of praise when he does read something. Let him see you reading as well on your own. Give lots of rewards, stickers, treats etc.

When I taught my son, I used Hooked on phonics. It’s really fantastic, it teaches the basics of phonics and takes the child step by step. There’re sticker charts to reward his progress. Check www.hop.com I’m not sure if anyone else has other resources, but I think HOP is absolutely great.

All the best with your son.

What method will suit best to teach a 4 yr old, pls share.

Teaching math with the dot cards works until the child is about 30 months. After that they have probably learned the symbol of 1,2,3 etc. instead of the real value of the dot cards. You can still teach a young child heaps about math though. We started a reading program with Doman method for our 14 mo and 3 year old at the same time. The 3 yo was less interested but still picked it up. Just sit in the middle of the room and show word cards, and the kids will pick it up. Always stop before they want to stop and go fast fast fast. never force them to watch. Its all so clear if you read the Doman books,How to teach your baby to read, math, encyclopedic knowledge.

The 3 yo is now 6 and reading way above his peers, and he got a small program. ANY reading program will be good, but if you can do it specifically, organized and consistent it will be very good. You just have to show them, the brain does the rest. Reading is a neurological function not an intelligent function. Its all really clear in the Doman books.

Good luck and get busy. It will be very rewarding as a parent.