New and overwhelmed

Well, I have been trying Doman for a full year now. I shouldn’t say try, because my 3 1/2 yr old can read, but the last month, he refuses. My 10 month old won’t sit still and just wants to chase his brother. I am having trouble with the execution of getting their 3 times a day in. My 3 1/2 yr old may have some learning issues. He didn’t say more than a few words until he was 3, but it has improved a TON the last month or so…ever since he started refusing to read. He was really doing well this spring…learning a word and saying it out loud (which thrilled me) after just one day!

My son became obsessed with TV, using the remote, the control. He whines and throws fits. How do you make “words” sound more fun than Kipper or Thomas?? I am new here to the forum…is there a thread where overwhelmed parents go to whine or find inspiration?

So he learned about 50+ more words this spring, but now he is refusing.

Does anyone have advice? I was thrilled to find this forum where I can read posts from those who have come before, and beg for help.

I feel like I have this gift to give them…learning. I am an educated mom, and we are living on a lot less so I can stay home specifically so I can teach them all of this! It feels like a waste of each day that goes by without being able to teach them properly. It just makes me want to burst into tears. Mommy guilt is one thing, but I know this works, and I want desperately to do it. They just don’t cooperate! I would do it all. I would do Montessori, but I can’t afford it. I would do Brillbaby reading and math, but I can’t download it properly. Doman seems cheap, and it’s been affordable so far, but my goodness! I can’t keep them engaged long enough for learn. I’m freaking out because I know my “window of opportunity” is closing. I don’t have much time left for the older one. Help!

I’m so glad I found this program, but I also have Macs, so I am disappointed to have trouble downloading the program. But I love your whole site. I am hooked! Thank you so much for having it available. I feel better already!

mrshillard

If he is enjoying the televison. How about using products like Your Baby Can Read , or even better Monki See ( www.monkisee.com)?
There is also Preschool Prep and Kid 2020. Another product to teach reading is Rock and Learn (www.rockandlearn.com). They have a phonics program as well. I would give those things a try. Once they get a taste of T.V its really hard to compete with that.

You could keep Thomas as a reward ONLY after he does his words. This worked with my son, He would ask for Franklin and I would say, “Sure! What a great idea, were just going to do YBCR and then you can watch Franklin. Wont that be fun!” If he refused YBCR I would say, Thats ok let me know when your ready and then we can do our words and watch Franklin! And 9/10 he agreed to watch the YCBR.

What I used to do with my daughter when she was 2 was make learning fun. Instead of showing the words and sayign them to her. I would hide them all over the lounge room and she would find them and I would say the words as she finds them. It also gives her a chance to say the words too so you know the ones they can read! This was a hit with the older child. The younger one a good one would be peek-a-boo words while they are sitiing in their high chair. So what I find works for me is make sight words all fun and games and they would ask for more.