Need help with Doman math

I need some help. I’ve been doing the Doman math with my 2 year old son and after we finished addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, I’m a little confused. First of all we still didn’t finished the numbers (quantities) till 100 (we are at 84 right now). But after we will, how many sessions will we have? only 3 times 3 three step equations plus 1 problem solving? Even dough I’ve read the book, It’s just not clear. If there is anybody who has experience, please help.
Thanks,
Stodd

Yes, that sounds good. Do three times equations and one problem solving. Good work for going this far. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks. I’m really curious what will happen- I’m really hoping that I can help him if nothing else than to learn things easier. Also can’t wait some result but so far nothing exept that he always says “equals” with me. He loves the zero card too. I try to do everything the same way it is written, so I’m not testing him.
I would love to hear about others who are further then us and about their experience.

Hi

I thought I would share this with you. Don’t know how relevant it is for you.

My soroban (abacus) teacher was recently telling me that she taught a 2 and half years old girl to manipulate soroban and now the girl nearing three can do 1digit addition and subtraction with soroban. More importantly the girl is able to write down the answers as well. My teacher doesn’t know about Doman philosophies and all but she is a great enthusiast when it comes to soroban and mental calculation.

So this is a great inspiration to me and I have started teaching soroban to my 9 months old baby along with Doman math. I am sure this can’t fail.

I would suggest you to consider giving this abacus training as well to your child. (Just in case to let you know that I am conducting online abacus training for adults in case you dont find one near your place).

Good luck.

Thank you. I’ve heard about Soroban but I don’t really remember… but want to read about it. If you could help me with web sites, your online course…
Thanks

I have never heard of Soroban. Can you please share more information?

Hi lavs,

I am curious how you teach your 9-month-old soroban? I learned to use the Chinese abacus in grade school and I was planning to introduce my daughter (now 30 months) to the soroban and mental math calculations in the next few months. It seems that the Japanese soroban is more straightforward to teach and is more popular (meaning - more resources available). Would you mind sharing the resources you (or your teacher) use for teaching babies and toddlers? I understand that the online course you’re offering is for adults only?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Stodd and Ann

You can learn more about Soroban and Anzan mental arithmetic from this site
http://www.sorobancymru.co.uk/page28a.html

My site is under construction, so I would share as soon as it is up. I am planning to sell soroban device, soroban workbooks (not textbooks), abacus flashcards 0-100 with 50 addition equations covering single step, multistep, 1digit and 2 digits addition equations. The flashcards are based on 3-rod primary colors abacus. If you would like to know more about these products you can email me at enrich [dot] brains [at] gmail [dot] com or PM me. I can send some samples.

Regarding the online course, it is a level 1 (out of 6) courses. Level 1 covers addition and subtraction with all possible combinations. 6 hours class split into 1 hour each week. Course fee is USD 199.

Aangeles,

Yes you are right, most of the abacus schools are based on Japanese abacus version. Yes the online course is for adults only for now. I teach my baby using flashcards and the physical abacus. Just like you would teach perfect pitch in music, I teach abacus. Flash the card and show the similar state in abacus. Currently I use 3 rod abacus but it doesn’t matter as long as you are consistent. The materials that I use currently covers 0-100 abacus flashcards with 50 addition equations.

Since you already know abacus you might try to teach using flashcards as well as physical abacus. Chris has shared some abacus flashcards here that you might want to use. Or you can buy the flashcards that I prepared based on 3-rod abacus lol Its upto you. Please mail me for more details.

Btw, your daughter 30 mo old can even start mental arithmetic as soon as she completes 0-10 flashcards. Because right brain principle states that young kids can visualize. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much