Need examples please

My child has got an assignment. It is simple question but his master asked to do in a creative way to ask that is why i am asking. He is aware of Point, Plane, Line, Collinear points, Concurrent lines, Parallel lines, intersecting lines http://youtu.be/rhton4uOZp8 his master asked him to give 5 set of examples for each word. Can anyone please give me examples for it.

Doing homework for your kid eh? :wink: here are my answers…not sure if these are creative enough…

Point,
-a mole on a cheek
-a fullstop at the end of a sentence
-the dot above the line in lower capital letter ‘i’
-the “a” in braille …or dot 1 in braille

Plane,
-the peanut butter spread on a piece of bread
-flat surface of a ribbon
-the movie screen in a cinema
-the reflective part of a mirror
-ice sheet in an ice skating rink

Line,
-edge of a strain of hair
-edge of a guitar string
-edge of a deep wrinkle on an old man’s forehead

Collinear points,
-sun, moon and earth (when they aligned during an eclipse)
-the 3 stars of the Orion’s belt
-buttons of a shirt
-number dials(1,2,3) on the telephone keypad
-the wheels of an inline skating shoe(rollerblades)

Concurrent lines,
-lines on a person’s palm
-lines on a leaf
-blood veins lines on a person’s hand

Parallel lines,
-the 2 vertical lines in the capital letter H
-two legs of a pair of pants
-the 2 vertical lines of the capital letter N
-the 2 horizontal lines of the capital letter F
-white lines on a zebra crossings
-the two horizontal lines = in the emoticon smiley =)

intersecting lines
-two lines of an X or t
-two fingers/straight legs crossing
-etc

I loved reading your answer baz!!! :laugh:

Very creative!

Wow baz you are wonderful thanks for giving me creative examples for point, plane, Line, collinear points, intersecting lines. I have noted all the examples. Then is Line different from line segment and interior point of a line segment.http://youtu.be/vptQJ0j6ZZs I think that line and line segment are same. give me clarification about line and line segment

you’re welcome! :slight_smile:

some info here, hope this helps…

Lines
We may think of a line as a “straight” line that we might draw with a ruler on a piece of paper, except that in geometry, a line extends forever in both directions. We write the name of a line passing through two different points A and B as “line AB” or as , the two-headed arrow over AB signifying a line passing through points A and B.

Line Segments
We may think of a line segment as a “straight” line that we might draw with a ruler on a piece of paper. A line segment does not extend forever, but has two distinct endpoints. We write the name of a line segment with endpoints A and B as “line segment AB” or as . Note how there are no arrow heads on the line over AB such as when we denote a line or a ray.

Hey baz thank you for your reply. You mean Line does not have 2 distinct end points and extends in both directions and denoted by two alphabets like AB. Line segment has 2 distinct end points and does not extend in both directions and denoted by two alphabets AB. Is line and line segment denoted as AB only.
Also here you are talking about Ray also. I didn’t understand Ray. I was searching about Ray i found 3 similar terms like this Ray, Half-Line, Line Separation http://youtu.be/80Gchwo6gHM Half line i can generally say that it is half of the line is this correct? Line separation means line might get separated. You were talking about Ray please tell me in your terms about Ray. So Line is denoted as AB ( no distinct points), Line segment (2 distinct points),Line separation (Line get separated denoted as ?),Half-line (half of the line denoted as ?), Ray (?) If i am wrong please correct me. Have a great day baz.