Need advice-Combining curricula- reading and math

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the detailed descriptions of the different curricula.

I have a 2 year old that I have not started a math curriculum with yet. We did Doman dots when he was a baby and after that it has just been counting with props at home. He can count to 20 and knows his shapes and colors. He will start going to a Montessori 3 days a week. Which math curriculum will best go with the Montessori math? I liked the Singapore math and Jones genius so far. I wanted to do these on days when he doesn’t go to Montessori. Will combining many curricula confuse him?

For reading: we have been doing Doman cards and LR. He hasn’t ‘read’ any words yet and I am not testing him. Will the Jones genius curriculum help with the phonics or should I try some other curriculum. Which one will best supplement Doman and LR?

For EK- just the LR. Sometimes I feel like he knows more than he should lol

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice. There is so much information out there, seems like the more you read about it, the more confusing it becomes :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Shaman

I dont know that much about singapore, though I keep hearing about it! I for one am enamored with Jones Genuises math matrix program and would love to give it a whirl when the time and the money comes…sorry I cant be a bigger help at this moment, you might want to try out Little Math (the free trial) and see if that doesn’t reinterest your boy. If it does, I have heard of powerpoint slides that are Math, but I dont know much about them…

Check out Childandme on google and you should find a link or two…

You dont have to stress too much at this time, with reading. Just continue to enjoy Doman and LR, read lots and lots and lots of picture and story books with your boy, run your hands under the words and all that. The program that I loved to teach reading was the reading lesson (readinglesson.com). It is based off of 100EZ Lessons (the manual that JG uses) but so much simpler! So much more child friendly.

You can also begin to introduce things like Starfall and Progressive Phonics, both of which are very good and very free. You may not need to spend 100 bucks on the Jones Genuises Early Reading kit…I understand that it comes with a lot of posters, readers, or whatever but I also know that early learning materials rack up a bill quick so its a good idea to do as much for cheap and free as possible. Especially since you often have to adapt or scrap one material or another because your kid just doesn’t take to it…

Thanks Mom2Bee.

The readinglesson website is good and so is starfall. I will explore them a little more and see if my son takes to it.

Thanks again for your encouragement :slight_smile:

Happy New Year! :slight_smile: