Need advice about adenoid treatment

Hello Parents,

I´m writing to know about your experiences in treatment for adenoid, so that, I´m living this process with my 4 y baby and the doctor told me if the treatment with anti-alergic medicines doesn´t solve, my baby has to undertake into a surgery and I´m affraid of it because the anestesia. Then, we started the treatment for a month and it will continue for one more month if you know any alternative theraphy I´ll be glad to hear about. Thanks all.

P.S: My baby doesn´t snore, but breaths through the mouth.

I have had students who have had this operation and also a nephew. They are all so much happier afterwards.

The thing is that if your son can only breathe through his mouth then he can’t smell things, if he can’t smell things then his sense of taste is, at best, muted.

We are designed to breathe through our nose and there is a much healthier air cleaning process from nose to lungs than from mouth to lungs.

I have also heard reports from adults who have had the op that their energy levels doubled because they slept better and their mouth didn’t dry out at night (which is really bad for your teeth).

Operations are very scary things and I hope that your son reacts to the treatment he is currently on and all goes well.

But if not take hope in the fact that it is a very routine operation and that your son will have a whole new lease on life afterwards. He wont know himself for all the new smells and tastes.

Best of luck , keep your chin up. :wink:

My son always slept funny as a baby and snored, my GP told me it was nothing to worry about and sent us home, when he turned 4 he had to get grommets, and they said his adenoids had to come out as he suffered from sleep apnea. I explained what 4 GP’s and 2 pediatricians had told me, and the ENT was outraged. I spent 4 years not being able to sleep properly because of my sons irregular sleeping pattern and the breath attacks he was having in the night, and they all kept saying that there was nothing wrong.

He had his adenoids out at the age of 4, and he went from sleeping for 4-8 hours a night (broken sleep) to 10-14 hours a night (unbroken sleep). He hasn’t had any problems since having his adenoids out and his quality of life has improved so much.

While surgery sounds scary, it is a very routine procedure these days. I wish my sons were removed sooner.I don’t know of any alternative therapy, but the surgery really helped him out.

I wish you and you child all the best and hope that the problem is sorted out soon.

I had my sons tonsils and adenoids removed when he was two almost three. It was one of the best medical decisions I have ever made.
My son always snored. He was so loud if he was sleeping and someone came over they thought there was a grown man sleeping in his room. Then he started getting sleep apnea. I had to sleep with him because he would wake up screaming and crying because he was so scared he couldn’t breath. Then he would cry himself to sleep while I rubbed his back crying “I no sleep mommy!”
Surgery was quick 45mins from him going in to room to him leaving the room. They medicated him in the or with proper medication. But once he was on the ward I had to fight to make sure they gave him medication strong enough for the pain. And when we left they wanted to send him home with just Tylenol after being on codeine. I sat in his room and refused to leave without a prescription for codeine so we could wean him off and make sure he was comfortable.
He recovered way quicker then my boyfriend who needed the same surgery 3 months later for the same reason. The smell though is not something I expected. He just wanted to cuddle but the smell coming from his mouth was like burned rotting flesh.
However a few weeks later he was sleeping amazingly, eating 100 times better because he could swallow and learning WAY more because he was getting the right amount of sleep.
Would I make the same decision… In a heart beat.
Good luck