Nanny Cams- Love 'em or Leave 'em?

In most, or perhaps all, of the US and Canada, Nanny Cams are legal within your own home as long as there is no audio recording. In many states, audio recording is legal as well. Some states require a signed consent form from the caregiver to use video/audio surveillance. Of course, in no state is it legal to put a camera in a bathroom where an individual expects privacy so that’s not a matter or debate, we are talking about any other “public” area…living room, family room, kitchen, etc.

For parents without extended family near by or available friends to help care for their children, websites like www.sittercity.com or www.care.com provide a valuable tool for locating qualified caregivers. But in the end, a potential caregiver is still a stranger with a resume. The other option is to simply never have a break as a married couple which isn’t healthy for the family either. Some parents think that a Nanny Cam will help them feel more comfortable protecting their children so they will actually be willing to have a night out. Others feel that it’s in invasion of the caregiver’s privacy. I have always heard that if you feel the need for a camera, then you shouldn’t hire that person and trust is trust. But then I have also seen the tragic reports of caregivers captured on film on the evening news by parents who had no idea.

As a group of “overachieving” parents who go to great lengths to educate their children, I am curious what the consensus is on these forums is in regards to “protecting” your children at the sake of a caregivers supposed privacy in your home (if such a thing exists). Thoughts? And yes, it’s a somewhat controversial topic but let’s not get too heated.

I’ve never seen anything get heated here, so I’m not worried. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know. I do have serious trust issues with letting other people watch my children. Even some family members, who’ve never done drastic scary things haven’t been allowed.

I have contemplated using a local sitting service (we actually have one that offers “edutainment”, which they train the sitters in). A nanny cam, probably would ease my worries a bit. But I don’t think I could ever do it without warning. So, IF I used one, I’d probably tell the sitter. It would just be a part of the deal.

Though, honestly I’d hope to never feel the need for it. I would (and may) use a sitting service while I am in the house without feeling a need for video survelience.

I have been a nanny before and I have always operated as though I was being watched. (though I doubt that I ever was)

I do sometimes tend toward burnout (as I’m sure many “overachieving” as you put it parents do), so I’m not sure what I would do if we didn’t have family I trusted.

I suppose meeting with a prospective sitter during times you don’t plan to use them and having the whole family develop attachment would go a long way for trust.

Oh, I didn’t notice the poll and I don’t think I’ll vote. I don’t think I have a “what every parent should do” view just because every situation varies.

I can say I would use one only if I informed the caregiver, right now in my current situation.

I think they are great as long as the nanny is informed.

As a former live in nanny for 10 years I completely support nanny cams as long as they are not in the nannies quarters. Her bedroom, bathroom and living room if she has one.

Personally I think if a sitter or nanny balks at the mention of a nanny cam I would be very wary. If it is okay for an employee at a store to have a camera in their workplace, or for a daycare worker to have a camera on them, I don’t see how it is any different with a nanny or sitter in your home. It is not an invasion of their privacy, in my opinion.

I do think that the nanny should be informed though.