My seven years old son often play computer games, please help?

I have a seven year old son, he often plays computer games for hours.
I am worried about his study and eyesight, what can I do? How to block the games? Does this filter help?

you should develop his healthy and positive interest.
parental controls software

He is 7! Just say no!
Limit his time to what you think is reasonable. Set a rule that he has to play something educational. There are heaps of math type games available that are actually quite fun. Also geography quiz games. Fill his days with other activities. An afternoon sport or music lesson perhaps. How a 7 year old spends their time is really up to you.

You will have to divert his interest gradually… may be if he interested in car games,get him car toys and make him play manually and then u can try to make him interested in many other thins too… Just a small step required-know his other interests and boost that up!!!

Yeah, you should worried about your child eyesight. Regularly playing the games on the computers will definitely effect on his study as well. You suggest him to join some activities which he loves to do like - play outdoor games. In this summer vacation you can send him in a summer camp, here he will learn many wonderful things.

You are the one in charge, if you don’t learn to say no and limit his time, you can really begin to have a problem not just now but later on in his life. My husbands parents often left their children to play around for many hours on the computer or alone. My husband spent many hours on the computer as a child and still does but I’ve really put my foot down.

His parents never did anything to stop it and all he ever seems motivated for is computer games, to the point where he was neglecting our daughter as he preferred XBOX/computer games and we fought often about it. I would ask him if he could change the baby or to give her a bath and he would say ok. Hour later, i’d still be waiting, it was like this frequently. First thing he did in the morning, go straight for the XBOX.

I once asked him to give our daughter a bath but he said If I could do it as he was tired, he mustn’t have been too tired as he was playing GTA on the XBOX looking as energetic as ever.

I don’t want you to think that I am attacking you as a parent or saying this is how your son will turn out.

His sister is quite overweight and all she seems to do is spend all her days on the computer playing computer games. She is overweight because her parents don’t know how to say no to her and she is 21 years old with her parents financially supporting her as she is a student. She does play rugby but she sits in front of the TV or in front of the computer every free time she gets. My husband is dependent on TV to make him fall asleep.

My parents always kept the computer games locked in their room, they had a lock on the door. They always locked the junk food in their room because I loved junk food too much. They put a computer timer on the computer and once our hour was up, not just for computer games etc but our computer use in general, we had to get off. I hardly watch TV and I don’t like computer games but I do enjoy some games on the XBOX once in a blue moon. When I finished with the Nintendo, it would go straight in their room.

When my mum said no, it meant NO! She made sure we didn’t go over our junk food “allowance” or computer time “allowance”.