My Precious Moment when teaching my 11 months Baby..

As suggested by KL, i would like to share my experience teaching my 11 months baby to read…it’s a very wonderful time we had together & i can still remember the happy moment both of us had … :yes:

Hi Friends,

i would like to share this experience with u all…i feel so happy today & i think i shud write it down here, so at least when Qarissa is big enuff & can read, i will surely show her this thread. hehehe…

This evening, i showed her a set of flash card - Occupations & Transportations. The card have 2 sided - word & picture + word. I tried to show her the word only (like GD style) & slip it as fast as i can but my dotter seems to be bored & keep looking at other places. I kept doing it & read it to her coz the parenting book i’ve read siad that baby can still hear & understand the word eventho they r not looking at the card @ dont pay attention @ what we said.

Then the 2nd round, i showed her the picture + word side. She love it so much & keep looking at all the pictures. This time also i do as fast i can … once finished, i play with her by showing 2 cards, tell her the name of one of the occupation & asked her to choose the correct card.

Suprisingly, 100% is correct!! All the card i asked her to choose based on what I’m saying is correct!! What make me more convince that she actually understand what I’m saying is that, when i told her to choose, & keep saying the word, eg: teacher, she will look at both card, before picking up the right one …wahhhhh…! i felt so happy like i hit a jackpot!! hahahaha… & every time she did it correctly, i will praise her, & she will laugh at me & keep on kicking her leg as if she is so happy to see me happy …(that time when we play the flash card, i put her inside the baby swing so when she kick her leg, it look so cute …heheheh) but quite sad coz i dont have my camera with me to capture @ record the special moment… its actually our daily playtime & its been quite some time since our last flash card games… hehehe…

this make me believe more - that all babies r really genius, we have to “play” & keep the genius wired inside their brain …ehhehe…mmm…as for Little Reader, it help me a lot, since Qarissa watching it, she showed tremendous development. She will follow the sound of the animals with intonations…soft, same voice but from the intonations, i knew she understand the word…eg: miaw miaw for cat (she will do it twice - the sound) & goong goong gong …for dog (she will do it thrice ) …

she will keep on nodded her head for some word she likes & keep on laughing when she heard my family voice & all the sentence & phrase they said to her … i as so happy to see the progressive development in just 2 weeks … tq to LR especially Lappy & KL …

i cant wait for my dotter to start talking …i’m sure we will have so much fun together!!

Rgds,
Watie

wow geniusqarissa.

very touching story.
im sure you wanted to scream with joy!

congratulations and happy teaching!

Hi Fatima786,

Oh, of course !! :yes: :yes: I felt so happy & it make me want to teach her more!! i believe that parents is the best teacher… :biggrin:

tq very much for ur support ! hope u’re doing well with ur children!!

Hello everyone, and congrats to you. hearing this kind of experiences are motivating me to be more consistent in teaching my son. I want to ask two questions, if anyone tell me her comments on my questions, I really appreciate it. Here they are:
1: How many words are you showing each time. I show 15-20 A4 papaers written single words on them. And if he cries after showing them ones I show second time again. Is is right to do like this?And i have been showing single words since 3 months and I change the words each week. Am I too slow, should pass to the centences?
2: I am asking him to see if he has learned any words, he shows 50% true words or numbers.
For thsi reason I am questioning myself if I am doing something wrong… What do you think about my method of teaching. Thank you in advanced to your replies. Bye

Hi esra,

as for me, as long as the baby is happy, u can show them as many cards as possible. But let say my baby show any sign like crying, i will stop the method & try something else, such as watching DVD together or give her something to play with.

For flash card, i never print any. I bought the set during International Book Fair & its quite cheap. The card also thick, nice picture & medium size word. Not that big but ok for her to see. There are 7-8 categories & i bought all of it.

as for Qarissa, i try to be creative . its quite tough but it works on her. After i showed her all the flash cards, I will sing a song during the “test” like this …(follow the intonation of Are u sleeping…)

where is “teacher”, where is " teacher", pick one card, pick one card, where is “teacher”. where is “teacher”, (this time normally Qarissa already pick the correct card), you’re right…you’re right! …let say if she do not pick one card yet, then i will continue singing to her & change the word “you’re right” to “Pick One card Qarissa, pick one card”.

i will praise her & clap my hand if she get the answer right. Right after i clap, i will continue to other card, & start sing again …ehheheh… not feel tired coz she’s ahappy & as long as she;s happy, i dont mind singing (even tho my voice is not really nice …hahahahha)

maybe u can try to do the same esra …& see whether it workss!! & let say during the process of showing the flash card, ur child do not show any interest & keep on looking to other places, its ok…just continue to flip of the cards but make sure u say the word clearly …coz i believe the baby can hear us eventho they show no interest… :slight_smile:

good luck!!

watie

Congratulations! I can imagine how amazed and happy you felt right at that moment. I eagerly went to your blog to know more but I can’t read it. I understand you’re Malaysian? Hope you could share some more stories of your little angel. God bless!

Hi watie,
Thank you for your reply. It is very kind of you to tell your method of enjoying. Actually my son cries after showing the first round of words because he wants more words to see:) and I show second round again:) I never force him to theach anything. I know it is against the rules of teaching:) and singing is an excellent way I will try as well. And I have checked yoru blog as well. She is lovely. Masalalhh, you have a happy family. god bless you and your family and all of us:D In which stage are you now? and are you teaching maths or any other language? talk to you soon. all the best