My Grandson's Bad Temper

My grandson Chance has a bad temper. I am not sure if this is part of the terrible two’s or something else.
Chance did not like the allergist that was examining him, and he fought and screamed at her. He was such in a rage, once, the doctor was done with the examination he got off my lap and threw the seat on the floor that the doctor was sitting on and he tried to turn over the weighing scale too, but it was too heavy for him to move.

Yesterday, we went shopping with my partner B, his son Josh, Chance and I. Chance and I were buying things for the barbecue he had a book to keep him busy. He was extremely happy with us shopping and his book. Then when my partner and Josh showed up he started to throw a fit and he pulled my hair almost out of my head and started to bite me. My partner pulled him off of me; he started to bite him too. It took Chance a while too calm down.

When Chance gets upset he usually wants to bite (me or my partner and my partner kids), pull (my hair), and throw things down that is in his reach. I mean is this normal? I need some input! Or is this something else going on here that needs intrevention!

The amazing thing is that Chance does not do this with his Mom, which is my daughter. My daughter is stunned when I tell her about Chance’s behavior.

Could he just be testing his boundaries with you? If he knows he won’t get away with doing it for mum, then he won’t do it, but with you he doesn’t know that you won’t put up with it, so sees how far he can push you.

This is just an idea. Have you tried setting very firm boundaries? If he even starts to hit or bit or whatever, put him in the ‘naughty corner’ (or whatever your daughter uses to enforce discipline). Every single time. He should quickly learn.

This happens with my son a lot - he learns a new ‘naughty’ behaviour and will keep doing it and doing it, but after a couple of days with more time in the corner than out of it, he gets the picture! When ‘releasing’ him, I always get him to say sorry, we cuddle and kiss and I tell him I love him, but I don’t like when he hits/bites/throws etc. I don’t want him to think he is a naughty person, so I place emphasis on the action being bad, but he is good.

Ask your daughter what she does for discipline if he is naughty - consistancy is the key with little ones!

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

A naughty corner? I think I like the sound of that and I will be using your suggestion.

Just make sure it is a boring corner lol

I sit my son facing the wall with nothing nearby to look at or play with. He gets 1 minute (because he’s 1 - one minute for each year). When his minute is up, he has to say sorry (I help him to sign it) and then gets cuddles.

I hope this works for you!