My friend needs help

Hello , becouse I think this is the best place to ask for help and advice I tought I will ask you on behalf of my friend :slight_smile:
She has a 4 year old boy who keeps saying he doesn’t want to be a boy anymore. He cries becouse of it, he wants to be called like one of girls in his playgroup. It looks like that girl -6 y- told him she won’t play with him becouse he is a boy and that she doesn’t like his name ect.
The mother doesn’t know what to do or what way to react. Do you know of any good books or articles she could read to help them to get throug this?
I would like to help her as she feel very lonely.

Many thanks.

lelask…

Has your friend discussed this with the young girl’s mother? My opinion being that even if your friend does work through this with her son…if the little girl keeps on with her telling him that she doesn’t want to play with him because he’s a boy, it won’t change much…

I’m of the feeling that the little boy is feeling that it’s bad to be a boy. Hiis Mom is going to have to sit down and find out the truth of why he’s all of a sudden not liking being a boy. Why he thinks it would be so much better to be a girl.

Definately have a chat to the girls mummy. But in the end she is likely to brush it of as nothing of importance. If that happens my advice would be to find a new playgroup with quite a few boys the same age as your friends son. It would be good for him to be able to identify with the fun that boys create. I would also have a chat to the child about how the girls behaviour excluding him because of his sex is wrong. And he is allowed to be a boy and still play dress ups and dolls. Just as girls are allowed to play in the mud and do Karate.
This is a case of poor behavior in the girl more than a problem with the boy. Give him some playmates with nice girls his age, there is nothing wrong with playing girls games and dress ups, just affirm that it is OK to be a boy and do these things.
Good luck