My first 500 words book...........

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am a father of 6 months old. Early teaching to kids is really amazing! After reading to some of the forums here, I got my baby “MY FIRST 500 WORDS” book. It contains all the topics colors, animals, dress, birds, and many more. Can I show my baby this book 3-5 times a day instead of flashcards as i have no time and also no laptop? Does my baby will be able to read in that way or any ideas? Will that improve my baby’s right brain?

I am not familiar with the book that you purchased. When I did a quick web search for it all that came up was a 500 word dictionary that was created by a school girl. Is that the one that you purchased?

The key is having the words in large writing. So, if your book has big words, one to a page, then use them the same way you would use flash cards. Show each picture or word for 1 second, then move to the next one.

If the words are not that large, then it won’t be that useful for a baby for reading. But, at around 12 months most babies can recongnize much smaller size words and your baby can benefit from it. In the meantime just reading it and exposing your baby to the vocabulary and facts is always beneficial.

You can always drop the book off at kinkos and they will color lazer copy each page and super size it then bound up you new bigger book. It might cost a little but then you would have a great book with big words and big eye catching pictures.

Books are also great for teaching baby to read, as long as words are big and you need to point at the words as you read with the baby.

Books are always good, but one has not see how colourful is it to attract the attetion of the child. It should have good picture…

In order for my child to actually see not only the pictures but the written words I would show him a picture in the book, name it and write it down big on a paper for him to look at. Save all these words and next time you read this book you have all the words ready for your child. In no time your LO will be able to read them.

Hi, If the book contains one word in one page, it gives the clarity in reading and learning the words,

so that the will be showing very much interest,and also you can follow litter reader and im sure if you start using this and you really dont need anything else because this is really wonderful which every baby can enjoy reading an having fun with reading! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

He doesn’t have a computer so he can’t get little reader.

Ohhh…am sorry…,then he can use reading cards,and dot cards specially made for the children below 8yrs of age.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Sunil7… I say definite it will work… just be consistent… I saw results with my son through books before I met LR when he was 27months old!! and I say my success in making him read before he turn three was the exposure of many books from infancy!
Goodl luck!

I think flash cards, LR, and Doman-style ppt presentations are better at teaching word-picture associations than these sorts of books. But with my little boy, we’ve used just the sort of early vocabulary-building book you found (there are zillions of them) a lot since he was a baby, and no Doman stuff. I’m very sure that going through books taught him a lot. But I think the ppt presentations and other presentations we’ve looked at since he was 22 months old or so were possibly more efficient. Doman was really onto something when he emphasized the size of the text and the clarity of the picture, and showing one word/concept at a time. He definitely got that right, as far as I am concerned.

By the way, as your baby gets older, consider checking out the many Richard Scarry books like What Do People Do All Day, which teach concepts in a fun way. The type is small, but these books entertainingly introduce loads and loads of concepts. My own little guy loves these. He also loves The Oxford Picture Dictionary, which is actually aimed at ESL learners. There are many other picture dictionaries and picture encyclopedias aimed at kids, but my boy likes OPD best, for whatever reason. Your (tot’s) mileage may vary. I’d be curious if anyone else has had good luck with OPD–it’s a real phenomenon with our little boy, we’ve been reading through this book for well over a year, from cover to cover, a page or two at a time. He still hasn’t gotten tired of it.

By the way, though, I think a child can learn more language more efficiently by being read to a few hours a day from a very early age. The Doman “word-picture” flash card method cements word-concept associations and can teach a child to read, which are wonderful things. But what they don’t do is teach a very wide and rich vocabulary and many different grammatical structures–in fact, nothing comes close to good old-fashioned books (or digital media that imitate books, like my own ppt presentations!) in teaching those things.

We didn’t discover Doman or Titzer until he was 20-22 months or so, and while we did some commercial flashcard stuff when he was a baby, it was mostly books. He read his first words at 22 months. He’s now 3 years 7 months and is sounding out words at the fifth or sixth grade level. He has a phenomenal vocabulary and uses–often correctly–some very advanced grammatical structures, like subjunctive mood. (“If I were to pull this ornament off the tree, would it break on the floor?”) He puts together Lego sets marketed for ages 5-8, with only a little help from me. The point…other than giving me a chance to brag…is that there are many ways to do intensive early education. We used mostly lots and lots of books, and only a few videos, and not so many flashcards or powerpoint presentations/LR stuff, before the age of 22 months or so. But I’ll tell you though, once we started those flash cards and later my ppt presentations, he blossomed as never before. So I am a big Doman fan, despite my reservations about some of his hype…

Hope this helps. I’d be participating more here, but work has kept me very very busy lately.

• karma to you, DadDude!

Your son sounds truly amazing, keep up the great work.

shuki :slight_smile:

I agree with Daddude, I was expoose4d to this teaching method after Kyle turned 2, but before that he was exposed to many books, and I wud go for the books as well cos they’l built the love for books, but yes the presentations and flashcard helps more than the books… Cos after Kyle was introduced to the slideshows and LR, he started reading within 6months! and be patient, dont try to test as this was the key I will say!

DadDude,
So glad you mentioned the Oxford Picture dictionary. After reading your post I purchased it for my 19 month old son. He is mesmorised. He just wants to sit down with me all the time on his little couch just to talk about all the things on each page. He says “Mum, book, pictures, please”. There are so many words and concepts in this book and it even has a car engine which seems to be his favourite thing at the moment. He is getting frustrated that he can’t lift the bonnet on matchbox cars to see the engine. He says “open, please, engine”.
He can read sight words quite well if he is in the mood, but I really do need to sit down and go through the method that you used with your son, prepare the cards so that a good balance of Doman,YBCR etc…/phonetics is used. My son is also just starting to enjoy your presentations now that he is getting older. Your son has an amazing vocabulary and imagination for a 3 year old. It is also quite unbelivable to see such a young child reading so well. My son amazes me all the time with his progress, but I still can’t imagine that he will be able to read independently by age 3. Your son is living proof so I am inspired and motivated to continue on. Thank-you.