My 8 yr old Doman Kid was accepted to College!!!! Share your success stories

Oh do please keep sharing. So much of this is familar. It is what we did with my son when he was an infant. Pretty much all of this sans the languages. But we did it through play. I kept notes of what to do and just kept trying to make a habit of doing these things. Many things can be implemented each time the baby is nursed. Or after a not. Or as they get older after feeding time. It seems so overwhelming. But a groove can be found. Just do things incrementally.

Thank you so much Mandy for sharing your schedule and yes please we want more :blush: . I can tell by looking at your schedule that you are the organized mom I am trying to be (but simply struggling as there are so many things to fit in a day). How did you remember to do everything? Did you keep a super long checklist with all the activities PLUS preparing the teaching material PLUS cooking/ cleaning/ appointments, etc :wut: ? Do you usually get enough sleep? :smiley:

Oh and how did you juggle between a baby and a preschooler? (I have a 4y and an 8m baby, they both need my attention pretty constantly.)

Yes, I had this checklist posted up in our play area. I always tell everyone, I will sleep when I die. I am finally turning in my immigration business after 15 yrs. College is taking up a lot of prep work!! Here’s my oldest’s summary of all the years.

Thanks for the prompt response! What I love about your schedule is that are so many activities but each of them doesn’t take a long time. I guess consistency plays a big role as well.

I edited my previous post while you were writing yours. I guess I ask that question again: How could you juggle between a preschooler and a baby that may seek your attention pretty constantly?

Another question: You mentioned that your son went to Aloha (Soroban math school). Mine started last week, he just turned 4 and he entered the Jr. L1. They were reluctant to accept him in the beginning because of his “young age”, though we do math at a 2nd grade level at home. They tested him and were pretty surprised by his math abilities.

During his first session, he would just write down the answer if the tutor is standing by him. He wouldn’t finish the rest by himself. So they advised me to bring him back in a year or so when he’s “emotionally ready” :huff: . I was so disappointed and suggested he may need more time to get used to it. Did you have a similar problem when you started Aloha? Do you have ideas to get him more motivated to finish his worksheets by himself (He wasn’t impressed by Aloha Dollars last time :smiley: )

Also, how frequently did you practice Soroban (in addition to the required homework)?

Thank you.

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for all the time you spent answering our questions and sharing your programme!
Have just looked at Christian´s programme and discovered that you are also the Mandy who started another post about speed reading programme suggestions. So may I copy and paste my questions into this thread to find out whether you have found a good speeding reading programme in the end?

"Has anybody found “THE” web-based Speed Reading Programe for kids yet?
Also, in another post I read that Tweedlewink´s Pamela recommends EyeQ and was pretty impressed. But I see that Mandy started this post saying that her kids got bored of EyeQ. Did this happen to other parents as well and why is that?

Ideally I need a programme that works on the ipad as we are out and about a lot.
Any recommendations for a kid´s speed reading programe from those that are ahead with their research?
Or at least warnings of what NOT to buy? (Have already got “Iris” on my list after Mandy´s remark)

Thx in advance! "

Here is the link to the thread I am referring to, the one that Mandy started about “speed reading programmes” in November 2013
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/speed-reading-course-suggestions/

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer

Thanks for sharing all that. It is very interesting.

I am very interested in the gross motor activities you did with your son. Both my girls do gymnastics but I see that my younger does need work on various gross motor activities - we have started running around the block in the mornings and also doing jumping exercises as she struggles with those at gymnastics (partly a weight issue as she weighs about half what the other children in her class weigh). You also said that the gross motor activities can help with speech - which activities in particular? Thanks for the help.

HI ladies

My absolute pleasure to answer, sorry if it does take me a while to get back to you. Besides trying to convince College professors to take my son on, I have a younger one that needs my attention too. Since we homeschool, I am constantly organizing groups to be put into national and state competitions (as a side note, if anyone has a 4th grader that wants to join us in Word Master Challenge, I can add them to our group. We came 11th in the nation with only ten kids. We were up against some TX teams with 250 kids in a group!). That being said, the question to address is how did I do the juggling between kids. Honestly, I feel so ill-equipped to be giving you advice. I will at least tell you how I did it. Thank the Lord, in those days my younger one did lovely long naps. He would get up early, while the older one got up later etc. Now we have no more napping but my boys are only to happy to go to their room and play knights or jump on the trampoline while I work with their sibling. I hardly take more than half an hour of alone time.

You mentioned consistency and l have to agree with you. My children never sat for very long, so I could only do something long enough to hold their attention and then move on to the next play directed learning. I think mother’s of girls would have an entirely different perspective to mine. You are right, I had my checklist and would tick off everything I did. It was the only way to appease my guilty conscience. I felt like I only have 6 yrs to get everything I needed to, in there and thus was always fighting the clock. Although, I have to say that I did take weekends off completely. My husband, only now (with my 5 yr old) will show flashcards. This was something I chose to do, he would support me but not do it for me. So with running my business, I simply needed two days off. I might add that they weren’t off as Saturdays and Sundays were Chinese and Swedish and Sunday school.

Regarding the Abacus. I hear what you are saying. Actually, it was for that reason I taught my son everything I could at home. I am replicating that with my 5 yr old. They simply couldn’t sit still for two hours of class work. So when Christian was 6 and could handle the sitting I took him to Aloha. They tested him and found out that he was on the Sr. level 3. They were shocked but he proved it to them. So from then on they did the multiplication and division. To this day, I still don’t know how to do it. I can’t say that my kids were as brilliant as the ones you see on youtube but they definitely can beat the calculator.

Again parents, I just have to re-iterate that I am totally unqualified to give advice. You are all selfless parents and I hope in some way I can help share the load. So fire away with the questions. Good night!

Hey Mandy,

I can’t help it: questions keep coming up 8) Which Soroban curriculum did you use and how was your schedule?

Thank you so much for taking the time answering our questions.

No problem, happy to help. I used Aloha. The classes are 2 hrs once a week and then they give you homework. It is lovely to be able to outsource something. Before that, I simply used different sites online.

Hi Mandy and other dedicated parents who do so much to bring out the best potential of their kids!! I’m a first-time mum of a 2 year old boy who’s very hyperactive and intelligent. I am a new member here and have barely done anything to teach him anything apart from what he learns by himself through our conversations with him as well as TV and youtube. He can recite many many nursery rhymes completely and can count to 20, can identify all 26 alphabets and can learn new words by hearing us say it once or twice. All your posts are really motivating me that my son can be a genius too, but I feel guilty that I haven’t done anything till date!

Please guide me on where I could start and what is the recommended daily routine with regards to home practice. His 2nd birthday is coming up in 2 weeks.
Thank you so much!

Hi Mandy,

First of all, congratulations! This is just one milestone of many in the long list of wonderful opportunities that are available to your child.

Would love your input. I’m reading “fit baby, smart baby, your baby” (my boy is 8 mo). The program they outline in the book is fairly straightforward. Would much appreciate if you could provide one or two examples of what you got out of the in person training that really helped you and/or that was different.

I’d love to go to the in person, but I live in california, so that makes things challenging. Also, the next one isn’t until march, and my baby will be so ollllllld by then. :wink:

Thanks so much for any insights you can offer.

I didn’t think I was missing anything until I got there. It is one thing to read a book and put it into practice but completely different when seeing it performed by gurus. There are slight nu-ances that are never addressed in the book. For example, if your kid creeps and crawls with socks, it is null and void because your child isn’t getting the sensory input needed to form the pathways. Crazy that I never thought of it before but making mistakes like that could set you years back. Okay, I’m being melodramatic but you get my drift…

I could go on and on. The mere fact that moms are up there presenting with 6 month olds that aren’t ready to sit for an entire session of bits also helps you see that this is our newfound reality. Hope this is all making sense. Plus, when you get there, you can have professionals diagnose your specific problems. I remember asking them why, when I’m reading and pointing at words does my son at 6 mnths old keep shoving my hand away. They reconfirmed that he was reading and that my hand was in the way. Things like this seem too good to be true but they have years of experience and can set you straight.

Does that help?

Thank you for your encouragement, Mandy. Thanks to you, I’ve gotten back into our physical excellence plan, which has been on hold for far too long. My five month old is crawling much better after one week, and my older two are loving log and forward rolls. I didn’t realize how hard Doman crawling is! After 15 yards, my girls and I are tired! Anyway, it’s been great, so thank you!

Hi Wolfwind

You give me WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit!! I know how tough that PHD course is, so only a mom that truly dotes on her child would take that on. I always call the phd course insurance for healthy living for our kids. I know they will be blessed by you doing that for them. I have to re-invent the wheel every day! My 5 yr old is on week 8 and it is starting too drag now. I am definitely older than when I did it with my first son. Not so much on the knees this time, as much as, cheerleading ;). I am going to post later about Vision therapy. I have just had both my kids tested and for some reason, despite all the Doman miles crept on the PHD course, both have convergence issues and have still retained their primitive reflexes??? How is that possible being on such a strict Doman, Shichida, Rightbrain course. Has anyone else been through this? Has anyone employed Vision Therapy or Neurofeedback to overcome these differences??

Would love your feedback.
THanks.
Mandy