My 21 month old has a bald spot!

My son has always played with his hair while nursing, when tired, and when going to sleep. He has gotten to the point where it looks like he is pulling it out. I don’t think it’s forcefully, but maybe he just gets it tangled when he twirling it. I find stray hairs all over his bed and he has developed a bald spot on the back of his head (similar to the bald spots that back-sleeping babies get). It looks really bad, especially on a 21 month old with a full head of hair.

Has anyone else had a child do this? Does anyone know of any remedies?

Many boys have a double crown at the back of their heads, which make 2 little baldish spots, so maybe he has that coupled with the pulled out hair, and it might look worse than it actually is. Maybe he has an eczema spot and is itchy there…my dog pulls the hair out above her tail when irritated by fleas…or the allergy to their bite… other than that, maybe an alopecia remedy, like Rogaine on that spot (a bit drastic)…or dont worry, he’ll grow out of it, just try to distract his hand, or use a mitten…til he unlearns the behaviour. He wont be permanently bald…
If he was a girl you could grow his hair long and put it up in a ponytail… that’d cover it…

If he was Jewish a skullcap would cover it nicely…

It might be a bit drastic, but if you cut it very short (too short to grab) it would hopefully break the habit by the time his hair grows back. He is blond, right, so the spot wouldn’t be too obvious with a short haircut. Or buzz, but that’s very drastic…

This same question was recently asked on the mothering forum http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1126351&highlight=lovey+hair