My 2 years old boy don't really pay attention Shichida Math dots flash card.

My son 2 years 2 months has been started Shichida Math 65 since last week, I concerned he wasn’t pay attention every time I show it to him, although I just show him 3 times a day in just less than 1 minute. He seems boring and run away right after I turn it on.

Should I keep going it or stop ? I need some advice from someone who had this problem before :frowning:
I had tried Glenn Doman method before when he was 9 months old then after 1 month I gave up because he wasn’t pay attention to it, after few months later I tried tweedlewink math. Then after I only depended on those YBCR , tweedlewink and others Chinese right brain DVD program since after I found Brillkids. I would really appreciate on someone who can help my situation.

Hi Flyivy,
What you mean by he did not paying attention? Did he turn away without looking at it or how? Totally running away from you?

Actually you can stop flashing it and start to do some dots cards with him to cultivate his interest in dots. Just take it slowly and in a relax way while doing all this thing. Keep it up!

What chinese right brain program did you use? Being a westerner it’s hard to find out about Chinese and japanese programs…and is it in chinese or english?

Yes… he was totally turning his head away of the dots flash card I show it to him. :confused:

http://product.dangdang.com/Product.aspx?product_id=9215067

This is the product of the Chinese Right Brain flash card , it’s similar like tweedlewink. This comes with Alpha Waves CD as well.

Anyone know how alpha waves are used for right brain training? I mentioned recently that scientists found that the activity levels of gamma waves in a baby’s brain indicated how early or late they would speak. WE should look into these brain waves and how they work and how to stimulate the different necessary waves. I’m quite ignorant on this subject.

I think there was a thread about it a long time ago if you want to do a search.

I already did…there was one other mention of alpha waves, but didnt seem to say much.

Hi Flyivy,

I always flash the cards when my son is drinking his milk so tt he wont have the chance to run around. Of course u cant stop him fr turning his head elsewhere but try to do it at the room where there is less distraction. And ps continue to flash even if he is not paying attention because he can hear when u speak out the numbers. As time goes by, he is sure to have interest on what u r showing to him. I dont stop even if my son is not watching although I may look like “idiot”. Sometimes I will use diff tone of voice to keep his attention. I hope the suggestion helps.

Hi FlyIvy,

My son also like yours he doesnt want to look at the dot cards. At times, he feels sleeping after lashed him the dot cards. ***Pls bare in mind dont give up…your effort will pay off tremendously…
Here are my suggestions:

1. Try to use different tone when you are saying the number aloud.
  2. Keep flashing even he doesnt want to sit and look as he might learn through hearing
  3. Do not repeat the same dot cards too many times in a day although this is what was sugested…you must draw an assumption…he might knew the numbers pretty well or feels boring…tough they are young but am sure they dont want adults to flash the same thing; 3 sessions in a day to chaellenge their memories…(this was told by an expert)
  4. You are your child expert, you know him better than anyone else, maybe you may just use the shichida 65 days program as a guideline…maybe in a day you may just flash dot cards…
  5. Play dot games with your child try ton put cookies within the dots and ask them how many cookies they find within the dots
  6. play guess where is the card. hide any dot cards and ask them to search for it and through play they can learn more about the number of dots in a card

Hope this willl help,

Ok, this is insanity. It is fabulous that you want to teach your children to read, but please, please let your common sense - the sense you had before you were a parent - take over, even for a brief second.

Children are not learning math with dots. I have some snake oil to sell you if you believe with your rational brain that flashing a bunch of dots on cards is teaching babies math. They are memorizing the dot patterns. The idea that you are interested in your baby’s brain waves is downright scary. Your baby is not a science experiment. Your baby is not here for you to prove that you can make him an uber being. If your baby has a high IQ learning will come easily.

Now seriously, I am telling you this from experience. I don’t care if you have fooled yourself into believing that your child will find this constant, obesssive focus on his intelligence “fun” or “great”; you are creating all kinds of emotional issues that will come out later, taking the form of a ridiculous drive for perfection to gain your approval.

Teach your child his ABC’s early - this is super - this headstart is all he needs.

Please listen to me, because when he/she decides he doesn’t like school anymore, or that he wants to be a mechanic and not a doctor, you are going to - despite your best efforts - resent him for not being the uber man you tried to create.

Hi Mmom,

Thank you so much to giving me some idea :slight_smile: I will try it and I will keep you up date how is the progress.

I would say you really don’t know what are these about the point of early education before you comment here :ph34r:
Well, I think you really have no idea how much our kids love to learn and they are capable to learn. Especially from their very young age. We as a parents should let our open minded and research how to stimulate our baby to learn easily in future. Learning can be fun for them without pressure or force them. My son just turn 2 years old can read more than 900 words , and what I did is only show some program and flash cards for 10 minutes for 3 times a day. He always tell me some words, shapes and colors when he seen something around him. He feels so enjoy when I prised him he tells me right.
According the Math Dot you were telling us about is not true. The truth is our baby can capable to count and learn from the dots. According to Prof. Glenn Doman and Shichida Makoto . Babies 0-3 capable to recognize dots in the card. What we need is just some method to show them. Is already proven method that is work. Just only parents to work on it everyday. So no point that you judge of the method no working ! Because they are Professor of Early Education and even they helps many Brain Injured Child capable to read and they can be like normal child.Isn’t it great ? I think they are super to all the mom around the world.
Like we as a parent, why don’t we let our baby have a great stimulation while at their genius learning stage. ABC is not enough for our baby,you probably have no idea how much they capable to learn. This is not a myth! That’s according scienctist had doing the research many years.
I don’t even start ABC from the beginning either, I started Phonics and now my son turned out able to read even he hasn’t learn that word before. Isn’t great ? Math dot just like I was mentioned , they learn from the quantities first before introduce 123. This is how it’s work and some kids if they did from very young age below 1, they can count complicated math.
I would never take my son for experiment. That’s nothing to prove what I’d got later on. What I did is just doing as good mom should do. I’m not expecting my son to be perfect , but I would giving all the best if I could.

one more thing I would like to add in is, learning 123, learning the fix formulas etc are all left brain training, while learning Dots, image, 65 Days Programme are all right brain training.

Hi apenny, I applaud you for being honest with your opinion! We welcome all opinions (so long as they don’t degenerate into slights or insults), and even more so when it’s not the majority opinion. We all learn the most when we fully listen to all opinions, even if our own opinion remains unchanged at the end of the day.

Let me make a few comments on what you said:

1. You’d be wise to not use terms like “insanity”. I know you dont’ mean it as an insult (you’re just passionately expressing your opinion), but others may take it the wrong way. Not using such terms will cause the rest of your message to be heard more clearly, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

2. Do children learn math (or quantity) with dots? Personally, I don’t know for sure. Just like I wouldn’t assume that they definitely do, I do not assume that they definitely don’t either. How can you be so certain that it’s just not possible, especially given the work of Glenn Doman and Shichida? Are they liars? Delusional? Con artists? That would be quite a cynical assumption, would it not?

I’m glad you accept the benefits of teaching babies to read, but it wasn’t too long ago that most people would say something similar about babies reading as what you are saying now about babies learning math. I think that if it weren’t for the YouTube videos (which are getting more and more over time) of babies reading that only came to the forefront in recent years, it’d be easy to dismiss babies’ ability to read from an apparent lack of evidence too, and to condemn proponents of baby-reading as snake-oil salesmen.

Is it possible that one day, with the right tools and given enough time, more and more babies will start to demonstrate the ability to learn math? I for one do not rule out this possibility. I think if teaching math to babies is possible, it is likely to be much more difficult than reading, given the nature of the subject and traditional tools that were available. But that doesn’t mean it’s not possible. Heck, it may be that there already IS a ton of evidence, and it’s just that we haven’t seen it yet (reminder: Robert Titzer’s video of Aleka reading, and even our Chris’ video of his baby son reading, had been around for many many years before they were more widely known.)

1. Experimenting with your baby - If trying out something new with a baby means I’m experimenting with my baby, then I’d be the first to raise my hand as a guilty one. I do not see this as something necessarily ‘bad’ (in fact, quite the contrary). The key is whether you are exposing your baby to harm. Obviously, this is a question of personal judgement, and people will no doubt see things very differently depending on many factors, such as how risk-averse a person is. To me, it’s quite simple. If a child is enjoying the lessons, then to me that is the most important guideline. Another guideline is how much time is involved. If we’re talking about a few minutes a day, then even less reason to be worried.

2. Parental attitude - This is where I would agree with you the most. It is imperative that we as parents do not focus on results and achievement, but rather on bonding and parental interaction. Sadly, some parents can probably be too results-focused and “lose the plot”, and these are the type who would get real disappointed if the child does not achieve or perform to their satisfaction.

However, I don’t think it’s fair to assume that just because a parent is keen to teach her child, she necessarily falls in that category. Let’s be vocal about the need to focus on relationship instead of results, but let’s not assume anything about another parent.

My 2 cents! :slight_smile: