my 2 year old is always keeping food in her mouth and doesn't chew

Hi all,

I am having a little trouble with my daughter at mealtime. When I feed her food she just keeps it in her mouth for awhile until its all soggy and I just end up taking it out of her mouth. I mainly have trouble keeping her still when I feed her and also the fact that she won’t feed herself. If she does its only one bite and she runs away and maybe 30 min later comes again for another bite. I have a busy schedule and can’t wait for her to finish on her own so I feed her. Plus, she’s a picky eater and doesn’t like to eat vegetables. Can someone help/advise?

Make her food soft and tasty. For vege, Dr. says if they eat enough fruit at this age, they will be fine. I give her “juice” (V8 vege juice) if there aren’t many vege in her meal. Slow cook is always good too. It doesn’t take much time and everything is soft and tasty.

Ideally, she should feeding herself. How about starting with some easy to grab crackers, cheese sticks, fruit chucks and such at snack time? Some of my friends had the holding on their food when they were little and they were all fed by parents. Some of them can hold up to an hour. :yes:

I’ll second the V8 juice (the one with less sodium). We did that for the loooongest time!

Our son also held his food in his mouth. I remembered back when he was a baby that the pediatrician said that the baby would eat when he was hungry and not to fret too much about him not eating “enough”. Then we changed up his meal times - bumping them back a bit and making sure our snacks weren’t sabotaging meal times. When he came to the table he was ready to eat, chew AND swallow :slight_smile:

Another thing to remember and take seriously is that when your child holds food in her mouth she is more prone to having teeth problems. Make sure you brush her teeth after each attempt at a meal. When our son began holding his food in his mouth we started brushing his teeth three times a day - like it or not!

Yeah I really have to work on that brush teeth after meals. I wouldn’t be so worried if she ate just a little but sometimes she goes for a couple of days with eating barely one meal and she would get a little thinner I’d know because ppl would tell me, “she looks skinnier” I understand she will eat when she is hungry but I just worry when she doesn’t eat for a week… just doesnt seem healthy you know?