My 18 months girl is not interested in LM. PLease help

I started showing my LO 3 months back together with LR. She has totally no interested in LM right from the begaining. It got worst lately. She will start to move away from the computer when LM is showing and come back for the LR. Thank god, she has great interest in LR. Prior to showing her LM and LR, i was using GD method, flashing both english words and dots to her. I started as early as 3 mths old. Sad to say, it was a complete failure. We have wasted those precious months trying all sorts of methods to grab her attention. It’s a great blessing i found Brillkid! She likes LR alot. Though i don’t quite think she has learn to read yet. I’m in a complete lost on how to show her LM. I don’t wish to kill her interest in Maths as i love maths. It is sometimes sad and dishearted to see her gloomy face while the LM is playing. Could anyone pls help!

What characters or things is she interested in?

Look for icon sets that are interesting to her from the LM download library and see if that gets her attention.

Alternatively or in addition, create your own icon sets, like using head pictures of herself, or family members, etc.

Thanx KL. I will give it a try. Hope it works on her.

My 19 month old also find’s LM a chore. He’s wiggled and squirmed since the beginning (4 months ago). Now he just looks at anything but the computer screen waiting for it to be over. It almost seems like I’m punishing him. I, too, love math and it pains me to see him so disinterested. He does this with the word family set on LR, too.

My 13 month old also would not pay attention to LM so I gave him a break from the math for a month and went back to presenting him simple red dots with the Doman method and he seems to be paying more attention. I don’t know whether it is easier to present the dots more “joyously” when I’m holding them, but so far it seems to make a difference.

How about giving her a special quiz and if she have learned and answered all the questions, give her a reward. :smiley:

Mine did the same some time back. I restarted it after about a month’s gap and this time with a whole lot of new icons like panda etc which he likes…I do only 2 sessions a day…well spaced apart…I show LM first and then move on to LR. Just a very short and fast session, and now he claps and giggles as he watches…I dont know if he understands anything or not, but at least there is no aversion towards it, touchwood!

Hi all
My 18 month old son also had problems focussing on LM and LR Word Set. I found my solution when i printed them on papers and flipped them. He is more excited and wants to play games with the papers. Sometimes, children prefer hard copies which they can touch.

All the best!

My 21 month old is not interested in LM despite of putting in interesting icons (as suggested by KL). It only captured her attention for a short duration. We have been “pushing” her to pay attention to LM while it is showing and she has reached the equation part where it’s showing numbers, hence those interesting icons won’t be applicable anymore. I’m lost in showing her LM. Should i just stop LM for awhile before coming back to it? Any other suggestions?

I fully agree with Questers. I think you should leave this for few days. May be a week or two. Then start again. We should remember the rule that we should not push the child or compel or anything bordering that. If so even for one or two times, they lose interest. New icons may be every week, does help in glueing them for few minutes with LM.

Lynnchew - yes if we show physical cards, babies like more than computer screen. May be because they see our faces and some sort of emotional linking happens with cards that way.

My child sees LM. But he loves to touch the physical cards…

If child doesnt learn now, why worry? anyway in school child will learn.

Even now without pusing too much, and after leaving for a week or so, if you start again SURELY she will get interested again.

I have left LM for about 4 months now. Showing it intermittently to my son. Everytime I try to reintroduce it to him he cries and squirms off my lap. He shows no interest at all. None. I’m so disappointed.

Dear Kizudo
What does your child likes to play with?any special cartoons or characters?

PY, my son LOVES music! However, I don’t think changing the icons to instruments would be beneficial as, when I can force him to sit, all he says is “babies, trucks, planes, etc.” according to what the icon is. He doesn’t see amounts only things. I really don’t want to go to dot cards but I may have to give that a try…

I had the same problem with my boy when he was 18 months. Now he is 21 months old. You can give a short break and start with new icons. What I can suggest is to teach LM very early in the morning when she wakes up, in a dark room maybe so nothing will distract her attention and before going to bed while drinking her milk again in a dark room. This really works for my son who cannot sit still for a minute.

PS. I change the icons in every set of a session and choose “random each slide” in ICON SET. When it comes to Math Review I put a break between Quantity Reviews and Math Reviews. So our LM sessions become 4 times a day.

I hope this works for you as well :slight_smile:

What about switching from icons to numerals? I know we want them to be able to recognize quantities, but it might catch her attention for the time being? have you tried with another language? when DD does not pay attention i play it in chinese… and she turns her head to look straight away :slight_smile:

Also there is a possibility to have a different icon for every slide. so if you select the baby icon set, every number will show a different try.
You can also try showing a photo eye play on LR and immediately after a LM lesson.
this works wonder with us. we’re already Day 26 and showing two sessions a day.