My 10 month old Grandson Chanze

Hi All,

I am writing to ask your advice regarding my 10 month old grandson Chanze.

My major concern has to do with his focus during teaching time (alphabet). He is not interested and is always looking around at other things instead of paying attention to what I am teaching him.

It’s extremely frustrating to me, and maybe I am doing something wrong? Also, my girlfriend is always making comments during his teaching time. For instance, “Why are you teaching a 10 month old baby to read!” I am thinking maybe that could be the problem too.

Can the Brillbaby community can give me some pointers!

Thanks.

Do you use flashcards? When you say alphabet, do you mean you only flash letters?
I wouldn’t flash letters at that age, especially if he isn’t looking (letters don’t mean anything to a child). Try Enclyclopedic Knowledge: i started with fruits and animals. keep the sessions really short. maybe have a little ritual so he knows it’s coming. When he gets used to flashing, try a few words. At 12m, my daughter still wouldn’t look, so i taped the words along the hallway and i would carry her and point, or let her point.

She started paying attention to Little Reader at around 13m and really enjoying it at 15m… it’s a slow process. I try to do many other things with her. She crawled and walked quite early, she was running at 12m, now she climbs really high on her own and jumps… she’s very active so i’ve had to engage her with songs and talk to her a lot-while she’s busy.
But honestly, before she was 12-13m there wasn’t much i could do with her wich involved sitting down and concentrating.
Have you tried educational dvds?
Let us know how you’re going…