music at early age

do you have any idea how to teach your baby music at her/his early age? does somebody have experience for it? :clown:

The most fundamental thing is to expose your child to as much music as possible. Have it played often around the house, sing to her, sing with her, etc. etc. A lot of musical development comes from just plain EXPOSURE to it. In that sense, it’s not too different from having children learn a language.

If you wanted to do more specific things, you could even start to expose your child to a piano keyboard, letting him tinker with it, using it to play a game, like see if she can play one note at a time moving from one C to another C one octave higher. You could also use it to start to teach perfect pitch - try to keep playing back middle C, for example, and telling her each time that that is middle C, not to dissimilar from showing the word “dog” and telling her each time that that says “dog”.

If you wanted to go further, you could even show your child flash cards of musical notes, to let him start associating the written notation of a note and it’s name, and even it’s pitch.

But ultimately, esp in the young ages, make sure there’s at least a lot of music played in the household.

I have been wondering the same things.

How should I introduce music? other than just listening to it

I want to do perfect pitch, I heard of using tuning forks. Does anyone have suggestions or reading material on the topic?

I made cards with the notes printed on the treble cleff…Should I first teach Whole, half and Quarter notes or Middle C-C.

I have so many Questions like do you teach Sharps notes etc…

I realy want to do this correctly, I’m not a musician so I don’t have a clue.

Does anyone have experience with Sezuki or how the IAHP (Glenn Doman) introduces these topics.

Thank you for your help.

Some quick comments:

• perfect pitch - you can try what I suggested in my previous post. Tuning forks are fine but they aren’t very loud.

• I would use quarter notes to teach notes/pitch, and then show whole/half/quarter notes for the same note to show tempo/rhythm. You should use a keyboard to play them back to illustrate the pitch and the tempo.

• I would skip sharps/flats in the beginning.

Most importantly, I would do LOTS of singing with your child. With karaoke videos, you could teach singing together with reading, and I think generally kids love it! Try finding some on YouTube and see how your child responds!

Please feel free to also check out an affiliated site: http://www.teachbabymusic.com/

Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

I now know where I will begin.

Thanks again,
T

Thanks for those suggestions KL. That new site of you guys’ looks pretty neat, can’t wait till Little Musician is out.

There’s not very much about teaching music in any of Doman’s books. I’m pretty sure that they discuss it at their seven-day course, but it is unfortunate that they don’t include information in any of their books, such as How to Teach Your Baby Encyclopedic Knowledge. They don’t really talk very much about how to teach foreign languages either.

Anyhow, I did find a summary of Glenn Doman’s suggestions for teaching little kids music, on the site childandme.com. Here’s the link, I found some great suggestions in here:

http://www.childandme.com/teach-your-child-music-doman-method

Ear First-taken from web:

The Yamaha Method employs “Fixed-Do” solfege (without altered syllables) in both ear training and keyboard activities. Fixed-Do enables a child to connect a specific pitch and syllable, such as middle Do (middle C), with a specific key of the keyboard. Aural training using Fixed-Do helps children internalize pitch, resulting in a strong relative pitch sense and, in many cases, perfect pitch. Consequently, in JMC classes one will observe students singing solfege by ear and eventually playing keyboard by ear.

Solfege is the core of the Yamaha Method; students absorb this musical vocabulary and use it in both beginning and advanced courses. Solfege becomes each student’s first musical voice. In every class, teachers sing melodic patterns and chords that children imitate. Solfege sessions at the teacher’s piano account for approximately 15 to 20 minutes of a 60-minute class. Through singing solfege, students begin to acquire a sense of pitch, rhythm, meter, harmony, form, phrase structure, key, articulation, dynamics and mood.

By the end of two years in JMC, students have built a substantial vocabulary of solfege, having sung 50 melodies and numerous chord progressions using the I, IV and V7 chords in the keys of C major, G major, F major, D minor and A minor. Aside from developing musicianship, these solfege experiences prepare children to play in these five keys. In fact, children experience singing in a key for approximately one semester prior to playing in that key.

All three of my children developed relative and near perfect pitch as a result of the Yamaha approach. We used a xylophone initially and later used an electronic keyboard.

Please visit this free online Ear Training site and enjoy!

http://www.musicalmind.org/

Please note that clicking on do re mi will replay the note that you are attempting to identify until the correct note is matched which will then produce the next note to be found. DO RE MI will not play do re mi.

Chris.

Thanks for the website Chris,
It has actually brought back memories. I don’t play any instruments now, but I attended a Yamaha school for a while when I was young. Until this day I can work out the melody of a song on a piano by singing it in my head using solfege first. Even though I never followed through to play an intrument well, I really think this method did help me with music appreciation. I have always had a love of music, but more so went down the path of singing, dance and theatre/musical theatre. I tried the 1 note solfege challenge on the website and was surprised to find that I found it quite easy to progress to the 6th level after so many years of not practising. I will have to try the others now.
I am now eager to see if my parents have kept any of my learning materials and music books.
Thanks again Chris

Chris1, thanks for the Yamaha description and the website - wonderful!

I have always wished that I had been taught the Yamaha way instead of the classical piano exam-oriented rote-learning way. I would have found so many things (including keyboard playing) so much easier.

This is one mistake which I will certainly make sure is not revisited upon my children!

Do you think my child would be able to play any instrument after being introduced to notes and keys with the Little Musician?

Hi,

Your child should be able to play most instruments provided they are prepared to practice.

when it comes to musicians, the strongest predictor of ability is the same mundane thing that gets you to Carnegie Hall: “Really what we mean … when we say that someone is ‘naturally gifted’ is that they practice a lot, that they want to practice a lot, that they like to practice a lot.”

Chris.

Wouldnt it be easier for them after being intruduce to notes?

For perfect pitch training.

You need to have a set of good and quality tuning forks. Good set can cost few hundred. Altenatively you could use a good set of xylophone and normally cost much lesser.

Basically start with playing single note and showing the music note flashcard at the same time .When baby is fimiliar with the sound you can play the note and ask your child to show you which is the correct flashcard. At the later stage you can train the child using tempo of whole note, half and quater.

Play many classical music and also string instrucmen. I have play lot of music to my son love it. Now he is love music and I have enrol him to dancing class.

You can download the music note at this site: http://www.wink-rightbrain.com/register.php :slight_smile:

Music has so much power and intensity that a child who is not even able to sit enjoys it. It means music has a strong soothing effect to the mind. so a good and soft music can make childs future better. its in the interest of the child to learn or have interest in the music

Of course not. What it does is to familiarize a child to musical concepts like notes, note names, pitch, and their association with one another. It will give them the basics of rhythm/tempo and encourage learning to sing, among other things.

All this should help them find any musical undertaking (whether it’s an instrument or not) easier as they would have some grounding in it.

Watch out G8 video for parents and kidto learn guitar
http://www.screencast.com/users/jw-worshipguitar/folders/For-Stores/media/949f075e-cbde-4c68-a69e-92408786f3b4

Sapna

Thanks so much KL.
I have heard from my friend whose son is evaluated in IAHP (Glenn Doman, IAHP)
For his auditory stimulation, he will listen 4 songs in approximately 10 min. (classical music) 3 times daily. This is for our program for brain injured child, I don’t know how about others, but It seems good for some reasons.