Montessory tips

Montessory, or hands on learning method, the one that emphasizes the role of physical activity in the child’s absorbing abstract concepts and learning practical skills is great for early learning.

I thought to start a thread to share some tips for Montessory Method of Learning, but many of these tips I think would work for any other learing situations/environment

So if you have a helpful tip, or read a good advice in any of the books which will be nice for the rest of us to know, please share it here:

“Sit on your child’s non-dominant side,”

In Montessory curriculum guide I found this interesting and helpful advice for parents:

"[i]When we write, “Sit on your child’s non-dominant side,” this means that you should sit on the left side of a right-handed child. And, naturally, on the right side of a left-handed child. Try having a friend sit on your right side while you try to use a pen with your right hand. Does it feel as if they are in your way? You can’t quite move the way you would like to or you have to be careful that you do not bump into them?

Are you not sure which side your child favors or do sides alternate? Try different sides and see what happens. Be aware of your child’s body language and interaction with you when you are on the right side versus the left side. The goal is to have your physical presence not interfere with the presentation or work at hand. Your role is to guide and present without changing your child’s focus. [/i] "

Thanks for the tip!! Really helpful, It makes total sense.Karma to you :wink:

Unique timing for personilized training – follow your child’s lead:

Here is another interesting, albeit obvious tip…

[i]Once you set up the exercise with all of the equipment and present it, the number of times your child decides to, for example, pour water from one pitcher to another, is an independent choice. At the right stage in a child’s development, he or she will has the ability to be completely captivated by a certain type of lesson, for example, a fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination practice lesson such as the Water Pouring. This means that your child’s current stage of development calls for this type of skill practice and development.

Importantly, make sure that you allow your child to engage his or her periods of attention during these projects without adding interruptions. It is really tempting to go up and talk to a child who is being super cute by doing the same thing over and over, but this is the time that you need to step back and let your child develop the particular skill that has caught his or her attention! [/i]