montessori at home with 18-month old

I’ve been reading a lot about montessori method lately. I would like to create a montessori environment at home but don’t know how to start, there are so many things I have to change at home. What would you say is most important? Is shelf unit necessary? cleaning station? table and chairs? I’m afraid I don’t have enough space for it all. Also, it can get quite expensive to buy it all. Most of the day we hung out in the kitchen - living room area downstairs, should I concentrate on changing this area or should I work on my sons room and just change our habits and spend more time there?

Also,most of the activities in the books are for kids 2,5 and older, how can I start with 18 months old?

Book: How to raise an amazing child the montessori way

Depending on where you live if you have an Ikea close by, you can purchase a LATT table and chair set. I use that one for my childs meals and basic activity . For other things I have a Kritter table but I find Latt is better for her height. If you want to do absolutely the correct things by the book, you may have to purchase glass items. For this time I am sticking to plastic pitchers etc mostly, but her plates and bowls are glass. Instead of having low wooden shelves which i would absolutely love, I just got some sterilite shelves and inexpensive particle board book cases (these are perfect height) I have corralled her activity things (like beads, dry beans, clothespins etc) in separate baskets and then put it in the shelves for easy reach. I store items like washcloth bibs within easy reach so she can get them herself (while making a huge mess)

In the kitchen : I keep a separate drawer for her things (lowest one of course) I do not have space for a nice sturdy wooden step stool , so I just bring out one of her small wooden chairs (GUlliver from IKea) and have her stand on that while helping me. Also the LAtt table is easy to move from dining room to kitchen for her to help me with a few things like washing vegetables etc. I have small dustpan/broom for her , inexpensive plastic again)

For practicing cutting, I simply have her sit in her high chair at times. It works fine !
I do not practice all the principles of montessori , infact less than 15 % I should say . But i would love to do it. This is just a step . I reasoned that even if I used inexpensive items which are non- breakable, if she learns the skills , thats great for me. I did not want to get caught up in the equipment so much that I would lose focus (and money :smiley: ) But that is what i think , I hope that helps you.

You do not have to have the exact Montessori learning materials. When Marie Montessori started her school she began with little money, in a poor neighbourhood. She used the materials that where available to her.

Think about how that activity can be accomplished with items you already have or can purchase cheaply.

thank you saniso and stacey :slight_smile:

saniso I have already ordered the book referred by you, it’s got 5 stars on amazon, I can’t wait to read it

i think the montessori teaching theory wasn’t originally technically designed for children under 2.5… but that said i have found a some good success using the ideas from ‘Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years’ which i bought when my baby was 17/18 mo. the projects are easy to make and are a great place for bebes to start even if they can’t accomplish them (pouring rice, scooting a child’s chair, dusting, etc). i modified some of the projects so that they are a little more accessible for chubby hands but the inspiration is there. like a previous poster the materials can be easily replaced for easier to find materials. there are some great blogs too for a little montessori at home inspiration… ‘montessori free fall’ is one i read from time to time but i’m sure with a little google you’d find more.
as another plus, for some reason my daughter is obsessed with the book… i think that she likes the illustrations of children playing. i can hardly find it when i go looking for it. it’s usually stashed in her room somewhere.

glad to be of help, also try reading Maja Pitamics book, teach me to do it myself , it has great montessori based activities which are easy and economical to replicate. i raided a nearby dollar store and got great buys. But initially I just used what I had at home, its the concept…

thanks for the resources. I am checking into the Montessori way myself for others.

I really like the Montessori program, I am actually reading the Montessori Method by Maria M. I want to start few step with my 19 months old.
One step at the time.

I have the book " How to raise an amazing child the montessori way" By Tim Seldin. Its great, it give you activity ideas from birth to 6 years. I know it was already mentioned but it is VERY good