Milk alternatives?

Has anyone’s little ones had issues with milk? Jacob gets extremely constipated when he drinks milk. I switched him over to soy milk and the constipation stopped.

I don’t really like the idea of soy though because of all the negatives that I have read about the hormones. So I tried slowly switching over to raw milk because I had read that sometimes even those that are sensitive to pasturized milk could drink raw milk. It seemed to be going OK while I switched slowly over but once we got to all raw milk and no soy the constipation returned. It really is awful for him. It is bloody and painful. Sorry to be so graphic. :frowning:

I try to make sure he gets a lot of food based nutrition but I still worry because he is being so picky lately. Does any one else have experience with milk intolerence? I don’t think it’s an allergy because he was on milk based formula for the first year and was ok. Although, thinking back he did get constipated a lot, just not like he does with the whole milk.

so sorry about that.
dont you visit doctor for a checkup, i think you have to get recomenddation from them before its too late

My kid had constipation at 6 months, we went to doctor he gave us this natural way to avoid constipation.

put 2-3 raisins in hot water for some time. then squeeze raising and give that water to your baby. Later we found out that raisins is natural laxative.

but if the kid is old enough, he can eat it directly.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I did check with the doc and she just said wait a month a try back on milk. :tongue: I don’t think at this point it’s going to work. But I am going back this month again so I will discuss it again with her.

Before I suspected the milk was causing the constipation the doc suggested prune juice. He was up to about 4-6 oz a day and it did nothing for him.

Have you seen this thread?

http://forum.brillkids.com/coffee-corner/eliminating-dairy-products/

It has a lot of info on it.

Thanks for that link I’m going to go read it again.

Hi all,
I stay in India and I personally do not have access to raw milk or too much of soy milk.
My daughter does not like dairy products, especially milk and curd but I force her to drink it everyday as I have always heard dairy calcium is a must for growing children.
she does get cold and cough often which takes almost a month to go.
please suggest which susbstitutes we can give to replace nutrients of milk and dairy products? are calcium sandos enough?
Garima

Hi garima,
I saw your post in the thread eliminating dairy products and have posted a reply there. I am from India too and how old is your kid?

I am using Pediasure vanilla for my son, that just works great.

anjie

I use to baby sit a baby who will habe allergy to milk, so we use to give him soy milk, and still wont help finally we found out rice milk helps.

hello there,

my baby had an allergic to dairy product especially milk. this is because she had an eczema and not constipation. currently, i am substituting the dairy milk with soy milk and she loved it.

btw, have you try rice drink?

I have used goat’s milk for my babies. That was great. We also love almond milk. It is delicious.

Almond milk…sounds really good…I have to try it.

We have tried soy milk, rice milk, and almond milk. We currently drink rice milk and occasionally almond milk.