Mensa for Kids Summer Reading Program

After signing Alex up for the summer reading program at our local library, I became very disillusioned and saddened by many factors…last year they partnered with Scholastic, so they had fantastic lists of recommends, side projects, and at the end the kids were able to earn new books from Scholastic as rewardsfor their hard work.
This year, not so much. And apparently this is a result of complaints that the kids worked so hard, only to earn more books! Seriously :frowning:
Instead, this year participants will earn coupons from fast food places instead, and the lists of recommends have been decidedly less difficult. Okay. Whilst I can truly appreciate the motivation to get kids reading, especially for the summer, this is not what I want for Alex! Ha! And she wouldn’t know what to do with a fast-food coupon anyway lol
We are still doing the local program and supplementing with better books, and I have arranged a more appropriate goal for her…but the experience sent me looking for other ideas…

We are doing the summer reading program for kids put together by Mensa. The lists are much nicer, the challenge is more difficult, and gives us a good goal! All kids can earn a Mensa for Kids T-shirt, although the best part for Alex will be the fact that she ‘earns’ it and it comes in the MAIL! lol
Reading to your kids counts as well, and might give parents an extra summer boost of reading!

Here is the link:
http://www.mensaforkids.org/content/school_readeraward.cfm

Anybody else doing this one or other summer reading programs? Love to hear…

We are doing a local library one. He chose how many hours to read. And he adds a sticker to his chart for every 15 minutes. At the end he will earn a book. He is excited about it.
This year I opted to make reading minutes his own reading. Not me reading to him. But that was my choice.

Our son joined Mensa not to long ago, and they have great programming for kids (who are Mensa members). They have a forum too for parents of gifted kids, and when there are events, it is so nice for children who are not average to be with their own…all the kids are gifted and a little quirky, so we feel like we don’t have to worry about our son ‘fitting in’. Finally, they do offer scholarships and discounts to popular programs (for example, there is a 10% discount to the John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth online program - which is a big help because it doesn’t come cheap).

My point is that if you think your child can qualify through their test or another cognitive test, it is well worth it, beyond the reading programs.

Rivka
acceleratededucation.blogspot.com

Thanks kerileanne for that link to the Mensa reading list, we are going to start with list 1 Kindergarten through Grade 3 with my two year old. I imagin it will take us awhile but its nice to have a list like this to go through over time. I might make up a bit of a chart to tick off that can go on her wall as a reminder.

We are also in with this list, I have been looking Spanish versions for some of the books, and we will read the rest of them in English. My 22 mo twins are currently big fans of Maisy, but they accept almost everything… But I don’t take it as a summer program, it will take us longer I suppose.

I just had a look at the K-3 list and I actually think its a bit too basic. It’s a K-1 list IMHO. If you have an EL kid it’s a really awesome list but if you have a gifted grade 2 kid this list is past its use by already.
Interestingly it contains ALOT of books that are recommended in many of the other book lists I have collected. So the quality is clearly there if not the stretch.

Aah, but the catch is that the rules are written with this in mind:)
MENSA has put the list together loosely by grade level, but states that a reader should go by reading LEVEL, not by age. Each list (totally agree it isn’t an all-encompassing list of literature like some of the curricula reading lists) has a few books really below the ‘grade level’, some in the middle, and then a few more challenging. For example, the K-3 list has a few books like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH that Scholastic rates at grade level 5.8.
I also think it depends on how you approach it as well:) You CAN include books you are reading to the child, audio books, or you can choose to only include books the child read themselves to make it more of a challenge. This is what we are doing, with the exception that we will be buddy-reading some of the longer ones. I also may omit or substitute a book from the next list to replace Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH as I do NOT think emotionally she could do that one. She is way too sensitive and sheltered lol

Yes it is nice to be sheltered. :yes:
Could you imagine Alex finding this list challenging in 3 years time? Nope, I am glad they stressed the reading level rather than age/grade. I was more puzzled because I would be surprised if any kids who actually get into Menza would read the list at their grade level…they re supposed to be gifted after all.
This list could be used by advanced readers in grade 1-2 in the general population.
Of course using audio books or reading to them opens up a whole new level. My kids listen to audio that I wouldn’t dream of reading to them yet. At the moment they are listening to Robinson Crusoe. They LOVE it, I doubt I could read it to them entertainingly and to be honest it would be a tough read for even my oldest. the vocabulary is …extremely old fashioned. Even I have had to look up a word or two. But in audio they seem to get it. They ask questions but they understand anyway.
Either way its a delightful list of books that are well worth the time to include in your child’s reading journey somewhere. I shall defiantly check out the ones I am unfamiliar with that’s for sure!

I am not sure that the challenge is actually for Mesa kids as it is open to everyone. It is just something that Mensa made available.

Hi does anyone know if you can enter this from outside the US - doesnt matter either way as new reading lists are always helpful - just interested as its always nice to work for something!

We just joined our local library’s 1000 books before kindergarten. after each 100 books a small gift is given and tickets to win prizes are given. I am told after each 100 the gifts get better, like going from stickers to small games and stuffed animals. It ends with a book, tee shirt, and awards ceremony at the library. Our new town has a fantastic new library!

I am sure we will be done with the 1000 well before Kindergarten!