Meal ideas for "physically superb" 8 month old

Hello everyone,

I did a bit of Doman when my son was younger and he is now 7m and 3 weeks, crawling very fast and he has now just pulled himself up!!! I’m wondering what everyone feeds their super active babies because his level activity exceeds his ability/patience to eat solids and his growth chart isn’t looking too good.
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this and if you have thought of any high-cal foods? I don’t want to give him sugar just yet. He isn’t keen on meat.
I am thinking about cooked cream (creme brulee without sugar? Don’t know if it works) or peanut butter (is that allowed?)
Ideas very welcome
Thanks

fabangel,
When my daughter was that age we were also very concerned with calories and protein as we are vegetarian…we were told not to do eggs or peanut butter until A was at least a year old, although this seems to be a very American idea as other countries don’t seem to wait as long…luckily, we were sponsoring a vegetarian family from India who taught me how to use lentils much more often. They are quite high in protein, and we even saved the water from cooking them to mix with plain vegetable purees. In addition, we found that it was very easy to add a bit of pureed tofu to cooked vegetables for her…she LOVES beans, and most of them are fantastic for protein. It is very easy to add healthy fats to retried beans for added calories, and we cooked in butter for her too as the saturated fat is good for them in reasonable quantities…also made fruit/yogurt smoothies for her with full fat yogurt and could even add a bit of wheat germ and nutritional yeast for Vit B12. Also, if not eating meat, doing simple things to add iron to the diet, like cooking in a cast iron skillet adds valuable iron to their food (and yours!) and adding a dash of lime to beans increases the bioavailability as well

Hi Fabangel,

Good question :slight_smile:

I would not worry about growth chart, as each child is very unique – so much depends on ethnicity, family history, etc etc

If you provide him good balanced nutrition, opportunity for physical activity, accommodate his sleep and emotional needs, and he is happy active baby, then even if he is “lower” on the growth chart I would not give it a second thought.

My daughter was really early walker ( 8 months) and was very physically active ( and she was on a smaller side, but both me and my husband are lol ). She did not have any meat till she was about 1.5 yo, and even now she is not much of a meat-eater. Sometimes she would have some chicken that is all She nursed till 11 months. And we had healthy high calorie diet for her.

Some things that I would highly recommend –

Avocado – perfect food for an active baby. They are low in sodium and cholesterol-free, contain quite a bit of vitamin A (which is good immune booster), vitamin B-6, folic acid, niacin, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron. Ounce-for-ounce avocados contain more potassium than 45 other fruits, juices, or vegetables, including bananas, peaches, carrots, and green beans, and they are one of the only fruits that contain monounsaturated fats, which are essential for baby’s development.

Avocados also are higher in calories than any other fruit or vegetable. This is a plus for babies, since feeding infants calls for foods that contain a lot of nutrition per unit of weight and volume. For variety, we mixed avocados with baked apple or pear, cooked squash, baked pumpkin ( great vitamin A content and natural energy booster) or sweet potatoes.

Agree with Kerileanne99 on lentils and other legumes – excellent protein source and there are so many tasty ways to make those. At one point we lived in Indian Neighborhood and had lots of friends in Indian community, we have learned many excellent ways to make vegetable dishes in tastiest manner. A good tip - soak or pre-boil them with pinch of regular baking soda, and dump that water before using them for different recipes, they will be much easier on your baby stomach. One of our baby’s favorites were pancakes made with mashed legumes :yes: We made them slightly salty with some herbs, eggs, buckwheat flower, and both of our kids loved them. Excellent protein snack or even a meal.

The problem with both of my kids was that they would not eat any baby/mashed foods, they did not like texture, so we had to improvise :smiley:

You really dont need to introduce any sugar to him at all. Its pretty bad for their immune system, and there is no reason to do it, since there are so many nice natural alternatives. Bananas, dates, raisins to name just a few.

What we often did, and it is still my daughter’s favorite, – smoothie with adding all high nutrition ingredients to it.

Here is a winner recipe in our house:

Kefir ( excellent for immunity building, it is like taking expensive pro-biotics! And high in protein, calcium and healthy fat – we are making it from whole organic milk. You can also buy kefir in health food stores. But it is so easy to make it, and it turns out to be so-o much cheaper!)

Ripe bananas ( excellent source of potassium, high energy food, great for baby’s stomach because of their antacid effects, contain pectin, a soluble fiber, are an exceptionally rich source of fructooligosaccharide, a compound called a prebiotic because it nourishes probiotic (friendly) bacteria in the colon. These beneficial bacteria produce vitamins and digestive enzymes that improve our ability to absorb nutrients, plus compounds that protect us against unfriendly microorganisms. When fructooligosaccharides are fermented by these friendly bacteria, not only do numbers of probiotic bacteria increase, but so does the body’s ability to absorb calcium! Winning combination, plus it makes the smoothy taste nice and sweet)

Avocado ( dont know even where to start with its benefits – here is an excellent article about it, which I highly recommend: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5 It gives smoothy great taste and high nutritional value)

Coconut oil – excellent source of omegas

Little bit of blackstrap molasses (In addition to providing quickly assimilated carbohydrates, blackstrap molasses can increase energy by helping to replenish your iron stores. Blackstrap molasses is a very good source of iron. In comparison to red meat, a well known source of iron, blackstrap molasses provides more iron for less calories and is totally fat-free. :smiley: It is also a very good source of calcium. Calcium, one of the most important minerals in the body, is involved in a variety of physiological activities essential to life, including the ability of the heart and other muscles to contract, blood clotting, the conduction of nerve impulses to and from the brain, regulation of enzyme activity, and cell membrane function. Molasses is also an excellent source of copper and manganese and a very good source of potassium, and magnesium. We use organic unsulphured kind, as it is free of chemicals)

Pinch of Kelp ( minerals, iron, iodide and antioxidants)

And then you can add ( depending on a day, and what you have available :slight_smile: )

Boiled beetroot – super messy, when you peel it, will make the smoothy look nice and pink ( of course my daughter’s favourite color :nowink: ), great anioxidants!
Steamed carrots
Wheat grass, any kind of greens etc, etc

And then blend it all together on high for delicious smoothie!

We waited with any nuts and eggs till after they both were over 1.5 yo ( due to allergy history in my family) They both eat them now and have no problem.

If at any point you would decide giving peanut butter, this is one of the foods that you for sure would want to go organic. Conventional peanuts are one of the most contaminated foods. They actually plant peanuts to “clean the soil” that was contaminated, and they are heavily sprayed with pesticides. Also in organic peanut butter you would not find all other unhealthy additives that you find in conventional one.

My kiddos love almond butter and sunflower seed butter for variety.

We also use dry fruits for snacks – dry apricots, cherries, dates, apples, pears – great for vitamin energy boost

That was a good tip about iron skillet, I will second that! Another good tip to go along with cooking in a skillet – use coconut oil! It is is only one oil that is stable enough to resist heat-induced damage, and it is good for your baby! What we do – we use coconut oil for cooking and backing and olive oil for salads.

Hope these tips help!

Oh, and of course eating healthy yourself will help your breastmilk to be high calorie :smiley: :yes:

Hi, I see the great replies already posted.
Just a note about the growth charts; remember they are only a guide. If your little guy is happy & healthy & meeting his developmental milestones then you are doing a great job. A lot of breast fed babies (if he is) tend to be on the lower end of the growth chart. The main reason to worry is if he starts crossing centiles for 2/3 months in a row, ie his weight isn’t increasing a little bit each month. Even then it’s only a guide & if there are no other warning signs, just something to keep an eye on.

As a mummy it’s very easy to worry - I’m a medic & despite knowing the facts, I was still up to ninety about my little boy being around the 3rd centile. He was never sick, met the milestones & very content… so… I… stopped getting him weighed:-)

Another thing that might help is to have baby eat when the rest of the family eat, 3 times a day, in a high chair. And make it fun for him. My son wasn’t a great eater till I did that (I used to try & feed him before we ate), then it was like he totally clued in to the social fun times that meal times are for our family & started eating no bother.

Oh & putting the food where he can reach it while he’s playing (obviously not unsupervised). Tiny cubes of cheese, raisins etc… That’s another way to get the calories into him without him feeling that you are interrupting his busy schedule:-) He can get a lot of calories from healthy snacks between meals.

In addition to the other suggestions, I would recommend pasta (blended with something!) even though he’s little. In Romania they make something like rice pudding but with macaroni, it’s actually very tasty :slight_smile: I avoided eggs, honey & nuts till a year to be on the safe side. Get rice powder or finely ground oatmeal to make porridge (can make with breast milk or fullfat milk); flavour with whatever he likes - banana, cinnamon etc…

Hope this helps
Lois

Kerileanne99,

We got to share some Indian recipes :yes: seeing that you also admire Indian cusine :slight_smile:

Skylark- completely agree! In fact, it struck me that with all the time, energy, and research that EL parents put into the kids, we probably have some of the most healthy, creative recipes and food ideas as well! Has anyone ever proposed a separate category whose sole purpose would be exchanging recipes, eating tips, that sort of thing? Just in this thread I have discovered that other people here use many of the healthy, whole food ideas that we incorporate in our lives! I don’t know why I was surprised, except that where we live it is still considered ‘child abuse’ in some circles to subject kids to a vegetarian diet, people roll their eyes if you mention Omega-3s, and supplementation consists of extra fat or salt :blush:

We also eat a tremendous amount of avocados. They are one of the most amazing and versatile foods for adding healthy fats and vitamins!
We also make a lot of hummus! With a little bit of olive oil, you can gently steam vegetable sticks to soften them, and show the kids how to ‘dip’ even from a very young age…hummus is also great because you can mix many other vegetables, like spinach, bell peppers, carrots, just about anything in. We also use a bit of kelp to season instead of salt…
Also for protein, we use an Indian product called Besan, which is chickpea flour, in many things. It works as a great thickener for just about anything and adds protein as well…
A is two now, and we avoided eggs, peanut butter, honey until she was about 18 months. Then I tried to give her an mashed egg, and she tasted it once before turning her nose up…tried a few more times and not only did she not want to eat it, bit had a bit of a fit. It wasn’t until after her second birthday that she had her first baked good and we discovered she is allergic! I guess the moral is they sometimes know better than us what works…sometimes! lol
Blueberries! They are actually considered a brain food! And what kid doesn’t want to eat purple food!

Kerileanne99, great ideas

I can see how your daughter could have “felt” that egg would not be good for her. I am allergic to many things, and often, even before I have any reaction, I just “know” that I should not eat a certain food :yes:

Yes, we like hummus too, but my kiddos dont, because of the texture :rolleyes: But they would eat celery, carrots, snap peas, broccoli just raw and love it.

I had two early walkers 8/9 months ( and one lazy son, 10 months lol ) they were those super active kids that never sat still ever! They climbed all day, ran everywhere very soon after walking…oh nothings changed! lol
Anyway feeding them was an endless issue. They lived on snacks, all day long access to snacks. I also kept them on vege puree longer than most mums but they had loads of finger foods from 6 months ( maybe earlier…) things like sushi, fruit bread, toast, fruit pieces, dried fruits, worms :wink: plain crackers, home made muesli bars, meatballs, tuna, cheese (real not heavily processed), lentil patties, cooked and raw carrot sticks…
Their purees were roast veggies ( yes to beetroot red!) steamed veggies, chicken liver, carrot and onion, I would add more tomato and mushroom if I did it again none of my kids eat them now >:(
Nuts after age 1, dairy after 9 months, meat when they showed interest in it.
I often made home made dips from avocado or creamed corn, or lentils so they could get messy dipping things into it.
Finally if you are breastfeeding your baby will most likely be on the lighter side of the charts. Formula is full of fat and the average baby weight has been creeping up for years, their is a push for two charts, one for breast and one for bottle but I can imagine the formula companies will fight that off for a while. It is available online I just can’t remember where. Also active babies are likely to be thinner but when you poke them they feel solid not spongy! ( yep true try it! )

Wow! That’s amazing. Thank you everyone. I’venever had such a good response!

I love Indian food too and owuld be very grateful for any suitable baby recipes, if you have time?

Many many thanks everyone xx

This is a great topic! We are also changing our eating habits due to my daughter´s food intolerance. I would love to learn more about healthy cooking.
I have bought the coconut oil and also an avocado oil - this one should also be good for cooking as it burns at 300!

I need to implement beans to our diet and avocados- now after I learnt what to mix it with :slight_smile:

I don´t know if this will sound as an healthy option to nutella/chocolade but I have mixed homemade plum jam with an almond butter and it tastes great . I am addicted to chocolate :blush:

James had a lot of wheat germ and ground flaxseed. He still loves it. I added it to diced fruits, yogurts, veggies. Pretty much everything.

James was an active baby. Well still is at 2.5. But he doesn’t eat as much as he used to, however it is still more than me.
At about 10-20 months old he was consuming about 4000 calories a day and he even lost a lb between 9-12 months. And was under 16lbs at a year old. He has always been under percentile, he is very petite. But he is healthy and despite the failure to thrive issues, he seems to not have any diminished mental capacity.